5.2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Problem with Business Showing Up on Map

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm working with a store called Hempen Jewellers located in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada.

The location doesn't appear right away on the map for the primary keyword of "jewellery store". However, if you scroll in any direction (including zooming out), our listing appears.

Listing has been optimized with pictures and has more reviews than competitors.

Clearly, Google likes our business listing, since it appears. The problem is: Why doesn't it appear right away? Why do we need to move the map in order for it to become visible?

First search. Hempen Jewellers is not visible.First search. Hempen Jewellers is not visible.

Exact same search, map zoomed back. Hempen appears as 2nd place organic listing.Exact same search, map zoomed back. Hempen appears as 2nd place organic listing.Exact same search, map slightly repositioned. Hempen appears as 2nd place listing.Exact same search, map slightly repositioned. Hempen appears as 2nd place listing.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Problem with Business Showing Up on Map

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Ever since Google's last algorithm update in September 2016 there is a filter that actively filters out businesses that are close together. You can read the article I wrote about it here: http://searchengineland.com/everything-need-know-googles-possum-algorithm-update-258900

In your case, the business is across the street from Knappett Jewellers which is probably the culprit that got them filtered.  In order to get unfiltered you basically have to beat the business that got you filtered to begin with.  I would start by doing an in-depth analysis of what ranking factors they have that are better than your client.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual