AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Problem affecting ALL Canadian Chartered Professional Accountants

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This problem is affecting several of our clients within several locations of their business.

In addition to our own clients, this problem is Canada-wide for the accounting industry.

Background

Within Google My Business' dashboard several of our clients' businesses are currently set as the category: "Chartered accountant" (which is the closest applicable choice for their actual category out of the available Google presets.)

With that category setting in place, these businesses are appearing within Maps (Public-facing) as: "Certified Public Accountant" which is an entirely different type of accountant in Canada.

The problem:

Within Canada the proper designation for Chartered Accountants is CPA "Chartered Professional Accountant" These titles are very strictly mandated by their regulatory bodies. (See reference links below.)

Required solution

An additional category needs to be added for Canadian accounting firms to prevent them from being categorized incorrectly.

Official References:

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jay Holtslander
October

Re: Problem affecting ALL Canadian Chartered Professional Accountants

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Jay,

I agree with Helmut.  Please don't tag multiple Top Contributors on the same post. There are dozens of unanswered threads we are trying to get to and since we are all volunteers here, there are only so many hours in the day. Having several of us look at the same thing makes it worse off for everyone on the forum, including yourself.

We do our best to assist whenever and however possible but these are volunteer positions so there honestly isn't a way for me to assist with every single thread.

I looked into this specific issue and there are currently 2 categories but they are labeled wrong. I'll ask GMB to correct that.  In the meantime, use this chart as what to use:

1.  Chartered accountant (lowercase a) = certified public accountant

2.  Chartered Accountant (uppercase A) = chartered accountant

chartered accountant.png

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Can @Helmut Geissler or @JoyHawkins possibly help with getting this in front of Google's eyes?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Jay Holtslander

whilst I understand your interest  "getting this matter  in front of Google's eyes" I like to tell you we TC'sdon't like getting "multi-tagged"

Please decide who of us should be your messenger to Google- and hope then and pray the selected one will do as requested. 

Accepted by topic author Jay Holtslander
October

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Jay,

I agree with Helmut.  Please don't tag multiple Top Contributors on the same post. There are dozens of unanswered threads we are trying to get to and since we are all volunteers here, there are only so many hours in the day. Having several of us look at the same thing makes it worse off for everyone on the forum, including yourself.

We do our best to assist whenever and however possible but these are volunteer positions so there honestly isn't a way for me to assist with every single thread.

I looked into this specific issue and there are currently 2 categories but they are labeled wrong. I'll ask GMB to correct that.  In the meantime, use this chart as what to use:

1.  Chartered accountant (lowercase a) = certified public accountant

2.  Chartered Accountant (uppercase A) = chartered accountant

chartered accountant.png

Owner of Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Unfortunately neither

Chartered accountant (Certified Public Accountant)

Chartered Accountant (Chartered Accountant)

are the required "Chartered Professional Accountant"

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Jay,

I also asked they change the wording for chartered accountant to be chartered professional accountant. 

Owner of Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you so much! Will keep trying to see if a new option is available about every other day.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Jay,

Category changes normally don't happen fast.  I wouldn't bother checking every other day.  Maybe every other week would probably be more likely but honestly I don't know when they will get to it.

Owner of Sterling Sky