Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Privacy: Google Maps mobile shows private address of "service area"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everybody,

sorry, I have to recreate my topic as I am getting redirected to the new community without any access to my old posting (in the search it does not appear here).

But perhaps this is a chance to summarize and remember :).

1) Google Maps shows on mobile the exact pin / marker of a business although the entry is configured as service area. [mobile]

2) If you then try to get directed to this address: no problem! Google leads you to the exact private address. [mobile]

3) Google Maps shows on desktop the exact street area of the business with service area in the Google+ site under "about > contact" [desktop]

Solutions:

1) and 2): Google Maps shows only service area, also on mobile. [mobile]

3) Google+ shows only the map of the service area under "about" in the G+ site. [desktop]

Hoping that Google will see this as important.

Peter

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Privacy: Google Maps mobile shows private address of "service

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 13
Top Contributor

@Peter B & @Tim Capper

regarding showing the maplet of a SAB with hidden address:

Google always showed the geographic center of the defined service area. (whatever typ of a service area you defined or selected)
This isn't a bug but intended.
As I'm checked my self on SAB with hidden addresses the area of the maplet is always "around" the geographic center of the service ares.
User should be aware this if defining a radial area.

Not intended and not to accept is:
- displaying the exact full address (this seems not happen though)
- getting directions to the (or a marker at the map) showing exactly where the address have been specified specified for the bsuienss in GMB (unfortunately this happens and I consider it a bug)
- having for a SAB with hidden address specified any marker at all on GMM pinpointing the geographic center of the service area - as this marker is useless (in case of a city/zip definded area) or a violation of privace (in case of a radial area)

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
its a known issue for the mobile app.
We have escalated the issue to them already couple of weeks ago.
Unfortunately they seem need some more time to fix it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi Helmut,

thank you, yes it's known already, but I wanted to have to topic open and readable here in the new forum as well.
by the way topic 3) is not mobile app but normal G+ desktop site.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Peter B

I tried replicating the issue based on the cases I previously escalated to Google.

Surpisingly I can't replicate the older issue anymore. Getting (reasonable) now the error Maps would not be able to get the direction to the business.

I there fore would like to take a closer look onto your case:

Would you pleas mind providing me a link to your G+ page of the SAB showing the hidden address in question?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello - as I still have privacy concerns I didn't start with Google Maps yet for my business. But I also had a look - the three issues above mentioned are all still there. You can just take any business with a service area to see it, like one of the many mobile lockout services. which is not my business :).

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Peter B

ok so please provide me with any sample of a SAB with an  address specified as a hidden address and GMaps on mobile still displays the address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hello again,

I normally take one of these many lockout services, but here an US example:
https://plus.google.com/106584137105627246598/about

On my Google Maps app I see the exact address as a pin and can also let me direct there.

But in this case the desktop issue doesn't appear because there under about > contact (in G+) there is no map shown. So here my question would be: how can I hide the map there?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Peter B

Sorry Peter 

but the page you provided (plus.google.com/106584137105627246598) isn't a ordinary  page at all (and not even verified) 

It can't found on GMaps anyway.

But there is a page with the same name and this is a verified page and defined with "hidden address": its URL is different from yours: 

plus.google.com/114108506011421492383

But this other page doesn't show (or identify) the concrete address spefied for  the service area business

However and as it is specified as a radial Service area the maplet on the G+ page shows the area of the address (not the address itself)

To avoid getting the area of the address shown up the guy managing the pageplus.google.com/114108506011421492383 should define the Service Area not radial but by several postal zips or names of town or cities

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Helmut Geissler

It is still showing for serviced businesses in the UK that I am tracking this issue with.

It does not display the address, but you can follow pin marked right to address, assuming pin marker is correct 

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Helmut and Tim.

sorry if the link was not useful, I just switched from Desktop to Tablet to write this and then just search in Google for this business. If you search for this business in Google Maps app, you will find their service area and can test and verify that my issues still are there.

Thanks Tim, yes, the street name is not shown as letters, but in the map, and you can be directed there.