5.3K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Prioritize the right business location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So my company has two separate locations verified on google business. The company doesn't have actual offices but work from home, so the two locations don't show the address but rather the region it occupies.

We first published the location in California which was up for about 3 week prior to the other location. Then we published our second location in Michigan which is our main service area.

So I live in Michigan and when I search our company name on google the California google business account always appears not the Michigan site. We want the Michigan site to be the priority google business that appears especially if people located in Michigan search our business, we want the Michigan site to appear, not California

Is there a way to fix this?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kevin D
June 2017

Re: Prioritize the right business location

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Kevin D,

Both business listings have the same phone number, it is a California phone number based on the area code, 805.

It is possible that this could be at the root of the issue, both listings are shown in the auto-completion suggestion box, but when searching for the business name the one in California is returned preferentially, I suspect because the phone number for both has the California area code.

I suggest that you get a separate phone number for the Michigan location since that is your primary location.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, 

I am too facing the same problem, my co. has 2 offices in a single city, one is the main office out of these two, but while searching on google, it is placed in "B" position, while "A" position has been allotted to smaller/satellite office. Is there any way to interchange the positions. Please help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. I hope someone will respond soon who will have the solution to our problem.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Kevin D,

Local results in Maps are highly customized based on previous browsing and web search history, Try performing the search in incognito mode, or at least while not logged in to your Google account to see what kind of results you get.

Ask also friends and acquaintances, that has no relation to the business, to find out what kind of results they het.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've tried searching in incognito multiple times and have had friends try. 

When anyone searches our company name on google, even those who haven't searched it before in Michigan, the California google page appears. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Kevin D,

What is the company name and the street addresses at both locations?

Thank you

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our company name is 'Envi Energy Experts.'

The Michigan Address is 'Rutledge Park Ct, West Bloomfield Township, MI'

The California Address is 'Hesby St, North Hollywood, CA.'

But the address are marked as private to the public, since we work from home, and don't want people to be showing up at our addresses! 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kevin D
June 2017

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Kevin D,

Both business listings have the same phone number, it is a California phone number based on the area code, 805.

It is possible that this could be at the root of the issue, both listings are shown in the auto-completion suggestion box, but when searching for the business name the one in California is returned preferentially, I suspect because the phone number for both has the California area code.

I suggest that you get a separate phone number for the Michigan location since that is your primary location.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Treebles, 

Thank you for taking the time to look into the problem.

Do you think I could leave the 805 number on the Michigan page and just add a Michigan number? Or should I just remove the 805 number entirely to resolve the issue?

Thank You

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Kevin D,

You should use a Michigan phone number as the primary one, and add the California phone number as an additional number.

I do not think it has much value because Google displays only the primary phone number publicly.