3.7K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Preferential status on local search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
For 3 years on Google local search, 3 florists have preferential status and their listings are on top 3 positions for all relevant keyword searches for florists, flowers or flower deliveries in New York City. As result they have great exposure and are not advertising with Google AdWords. It feels like other companies are penalized and forced to pay high price in order to be visible on line. During this period Google had couple of algorithm changes but these 3 florists are  somehow always on the top of all local searches. Why Google does not give chance to other florists?
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Preferential status on local search

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey Miodrag,

There's no such thing as preferential status, only ranking factors :) These 3 businesses are obviously killing it with their SEO efforts and I doubt they show up for every single keyword someone would search for a florist so there is tons of opportunities for everyone. It's definitely difficult to obtain those spots but I can't really offer any other guidance other than studying the ranking factors and seeing how they are "beating" you at them: https://moz.com/local-search-ranking-factors

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Miodrag P In addition to the resource that @JoyHawkins provided, Google also has a document that has some solid insight - https://support.google.com/business/answer/7091?hl=en 

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
You say that these three sites have been there for X number of years and assuming they are basically Welbilt sites with a good amount of information for consumers that longevity Kim translate into a positive ranking factor for those sites . It is however not impossible to overcome . In a nutshell if you're the new guy in town your job is to create better content more informative website and give consumers a better user experience . If you do these things consistently for a while there's a good chance that you can displays one of the three and move into the tub spot.

Of course that's still won't mean you have all those years behind you in one way that SCO people try to compensate for that is to buy their domain for 10 years in advance which is the maximum amount of time that you could buy a domain . As far as I know this shows the search engine did you plan to be around for a while and are there for a bit more trustworthy perhaps . There is no magic bullet for online success if you give consumers a good user experience and a competitively priced product there is no reason why they won't come to your website .