Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Podiatry practice has been struggling with Google local listing for over a year

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Question:

This podiatrist wants to show up in local search results for the term "podiatrist in southfield MI".  He's been working at it for over a year.  There was a big problem with he and his father being listed separately as podiatrists, which conflicted with the main listing for the business.  They also had undergone a name change, which meant an old listing had to be merged with the new listing.  The duplicate listing issue has been cleared up since September 2015, so they've continued pushing forward in getting patient reviews, posting on Google+, etc.  Every time they've spoken to a Google Local Business rep, the rep says everything looks fine with the account and to just "keep it up".

Since they're not making forward progress in getting their listing to show up regularly within local results, I have to think something is wrong- especially given that the competition doesn't have nearly as many patient reviews and the website itself is doing well as far as gaining rankings.  Any thoughts?  Is it possible to over-optimize a Google+ local page by hashtagging too much?  Is there a preference within Google local results to favor a 'podiatrist', as in a single person that they've gleaned from Healthgrades or wherever, rather than a podiatry practice?

Full Business Name: Michfoot Surgeons PC

Address: 29201 Telegraph Rd Ste. 100 Southfield, MI 48034

Phone: (248) 355-4000

Google+ URL: https://plus.google.com/b/102552171259823484577/+Michfoot/about?gmbpt=true&hl=en

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Podiatry practice has been struggling with Google local listing for over a year

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
You are at the point that your organic search listings are probably affecting your map pack listing. Your citations are inconsistent (Michfoot Surgeons, Leff Fred & Randy Drs, Michfoot Surgeons PC - Podiatrists of the Foot & Ankle) and some are lacking URLs. These need to be cleaned up. Wix sites can be *difficult* to optimize for onsite SEO. Long-term, consider moving to a different platform. You seem to have some questionable inbound links - review these!. You should add local business schema as well.

Re: Podiatry practice has been struggling with Google local listing for over a year

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Laura M

Some Thoughts for You.

Business Citations:

Around 4 for the business : 

"Michfoot Surgeons PC" AND "29201 Telegraph Rd Ste. 100 Southfield, MI 48034"

I don't know what the previous name was, but you certainly need to track down all citations and correct the Name. There seem to be variations at that address for podiatrist.

"Podiatrist" AND "29201 Telegraph Rd Ste. 100 Southfield, MI 48034"

On Page:

I'd want to be looking at the top 20 local search ranking factors for the site.

Take H1 on Page with location in it, this is a must have.

Foot Care for the Whole Family is in an H2

screencapture (51).png

So I would certainly revisit this.

Structured Data:

The site is not using any structured data and I would look at this : https://schema.org/Podiatric

<script type="application/ld+json">
	{
  	"@context": "http://schema.org",
  	"@type": "LocalBusiness",
  	"address": {
    "@type": "PostalAddress",
    "addressLocality": "Southfield",
    "addressRegion": "MI",
    "postalCode":"48034",
    "streetAddress": "29201 Telegraph Rd"
  	},
   	"name": "Michfoot Surgeons PC",
  	"telephone": "248-355-4000",
  	"email": "michfoot@me.com",
    "url": "http://www.michfoot.com"

}
</script>

The Map you have on site, does not quite look like a correct embed. This is the embed i would use.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d2941.4280362484515!2d-83.28878968453915!3d42.50371097917752!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x8824b784fd9e36c1%3A0xd1a007cfa8e26d2a!2sMichfoot+Surgeons+PC!5e0!3m2!1sen!2suk!4v1458124288520" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So I would certainly revisit the above points.

Tim Capper
Google My Business Top Contributor (UK) and SEO consultant at Online Ownership

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You should try removing the "surgeon" category and wait a couple weeks to see if anything changes.

You also have a listing for one of the doctors (http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=39&fid=0x8824b784fd9fc433:0xa81d551fe44b11ed). I would point the URL on that listing to http://www.michfoot.com/#!our-doctors/cipy instead of the homepage of the site so it doesn't compete as much with the practice listing. I'd also suggest making the categories different IF that's possible.

Since you have great organic ranking (you're third) it tells me that your issue is most likely category-related or issues with the inconsistency of data.

Posting on G+ has no impact on ranking so I would suggest not wasting time on that :)

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Joy! We spoke to a Google My Business rep who advised us NOT to remove surgeon, because that's about the only term we show up for in Google Local results. The other doctor listing was removed by Google, again because one of their reps said it was competing with our practice listing and needed to be removed. Funny enough, today the Google My Business rep advised that we should keep posting on G+, though I agree wholeheartedly that it's done nothing for us.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your input. We took some of your advice, sans the schema - WIX doesn't support schema at present. We've been making a pretty concerted effort to clean up the business listings, though every time I think we're done something else strange pops up.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
You can use the Data Highlighter tool in Search Console (the old webmaster tools) with Wix instead of schema - it does not require you place any code on the site. https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/2692911?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Shockingly, the wix website ranks pretty darn well organically. It's just the Google local business listing that never seems to show up, despite Google's assurances that if we get reviews, post on G+, have updated info and pics, use Youtube, etc that we'll show in the 'local snack pack'

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Laura - I certainly understand your frustration. A couple of things:

1) I do not see any Schema integrated into your site. I strongly recommend wrapping your NAP in your footer in properly formatted Schema as this will help signal your location to Google (and other search engines, for that's worth).

** UPDATE:  Nevermind, I just saw that you mentioned Wix doesn't allow Schema (which is crazy...)

2) It doesn't look like you implemented targeted / categorical level keyword phrases in the description of your Google business page. Within the description, you can list out targeted keyword phrases, sort of like the tagging structure on Youtube videos.

3) Finally, I recommend launching a blog for your website. As a podiatrist, your customer base more than likely comes from the immediate metro area market. As such, writing news and information from your blog pertaining to your local market is a great place to start. We do this for several of our clients, and as a result of the content production and social media sharing, this directly impacts the domain authority of their website, which has ultimately translated into top rankings in Google local search.

I hope these few ideas help - I look forward to your feedback.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Laura,

I'm really shocked to hear Google removed the listing for the doctor. The guidelines specifically allow for professionals to have additional listings and they shouldn't be removed (https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en). I noticed the same user that requested removal of yours also requested that this guy be removed (http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=39&fid=0x8824c802fe31c403:0x493c02433cf980d). I'm not sure if you know who is making those edits but I'd advise they undo that as it will not get approved and denied edits hurt your trust level for future edits.

The reason why I suggested trying to remove "surgeon" is because I observed that a lot of the top-ranking profiles had only one category - podiatrist. I believe that category dilution is possible and if Google sees you ranking for surgeon (I don't), this could be why. They might have you categorized more of a "surgeon" than a "podiatrist". I'd still suggest removing it because you could always add it back in a month if it proved to have a negative impact.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual