AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

PERMANENTLY CLOSED BUSINESS SHOWING UP FIRST IN SEARCH ABOVE 'OPEN' BUSINESS

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Our business has had 3 locations in the past and now only has 1, however when you google the business name 'Mordy Surf' the closed location always comes up first. This is obviously not good for business as people might glance at it and see it as 'closed' and not continue to search for the other open location. I have disabled the other pages for the closed locations but they still come up when you search for the business. I would like to permanently remove the 2 locations that are no longer open, how do I do this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: PERMANENTLY CLOSED BUSINESS SHOWING UP FIRST IN SEARCH ABOVE 'OPEN' BUSINESS

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mordy S

For future reference, when you move, you Change the address on the current business page and your business page moves with you.

The closed business page, has that been removed from your account ? Or is it still verified but marked as closed ?

If it still verified in your account, you want to remove the page, delete it.

Then contact business support and ask them to mark it as moved to your new business page.

https://support.google.com/business/contactflow

The next thing you need to do, is to check for any mentions of the business being at the old address. Then correct those listing to the new address.

You can do this by searching :  "Business Name" AND "Old Address"

If any website mentions your name and old address, it will show up in search results, contact them and ask to change the address to the new one.  This will help stop conflicting information for Google but also help improve the new business page in its position within Maps

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership