AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Optimize Map Listing/Cover Image

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How can you force a specific image to show up as the cover image on your map listing? The image that is showing is not what I have selected in our Google My Business Account.

Mercedes-Benz of Oklahoma City (405) 236-1224 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mercedes-Benz+of+Oklahoma+City/@35.4808191,-97.5165588,17z/data=!3...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Una S
May

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Pretty much!

Its what everything  ( SEO ) is turning to ( not just google, but everything, instagram facebook etc all use this ) as the biggest ranking signal for everything is... User Generated Content/Interaction . So you search for something, you scroll past 2 listings and stop at the third, you click it and then start going through that 3 listings photos till you find what was most apealing, then you stop looking around, and or clicking.

Google sees that as you found the third listing as more relevant, and more likely to give a better user experience than the first two listings. So it will give an SEO boost aka ranking boost to the 3rd listing as it thinks the first two aren't the best results anymore.

Same goes for pictures, recipes, how to guides etc.

Also notice how when you look at the pictures they have a thumb up or down option on the top right?

What do you think will happen when one photo gets a ton of thumbs up?

Gets a boostski ranking baby!!!

Pictures could also get links pointed to them and embeds too!!!

I can't personally recommend or condone doing any of that personally to try and manipulate the system as Google does see and count everything your mouse hovers over, even positioning on a page.

Can I get some love by marking my answer as best answer or a like Pleeeze!

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

In your GMB account, where you select or uplaod photos, at the top of the page you will see options to select a cover photo, select video, interior photos and food and drink photos.  It's in the "overview" section.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a ton of photos in overview. The one it is highlighting is one of the oldest photos showing there that a customer took (not even one we took as the business). Is there a way to force it to choose one of my selected photos?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Una,

I am not aware of a method to force it to choose one of your selected photos.  I wish I could be of more help to you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have had this same issue and unfortunately, there is no way to control what image Google displays.  Google displays images based on an algorithm that no one at Google support understands because no one can explain it to me. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

LOL thanks!!!!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Its a click though rate issue, they use user signals to help pick the best or most appropriate image to display.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What does that mean exactly? Depending on how many times an image is clicked on or viewed is the image the Google decides to display first or as the profile/cover image?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Una S
May

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Pretty much!

Its what everything  ( SEO ) is turning to ( not just google, but everything, instagram facebook etc all use this ) as the biggest ranking signal for everything is... User Generated Content/Interaction . So you search for something, you scroll past 2 listings and stop at the third, you click it and then start going through that 3 listings photos till you find what was most apealing, then you stop looking around, and or clicking.

Google sees that as you found the third listing as more relevant, and more likely to give a better user experience than the first two listings. So it will give an SEO boost aka ranking boost to the 3rd listing as it thinks the first two aren't the best results anymore.

Same goes for pictures, recipes, how to guides etc.

Also notice how when you look at the pictures they have a thumb up or down option on the top right?

What do you think will happen when one photo gets a ton of thumbs up?

Gets a boostski ranking baby!!!

Pictures could also get links pointed to them and embeds too!!!

I can't personally recommend or condone doing any of that personally to try and manipulate the system as Google does see and count everything your mouse hovers over, even positioning on a page.

Can I get some love by marking my answer as best answer or a like Pleeeze!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Much appreicated!