Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Old business address and page still showing up on google search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

18 months ago i purchased a business. On that Google business page there were a number of reviews about the previous owners, but Google doesn't allow you to remove reviews, even if they don't portray your new business ethic or views etc etc.

2 months ago I moved this business to a new location, so I closed the previous Google business page (now coming up as "permanently closed") and created a new Google business account for the new address.

However when people search Google or Maps, it comes up the old business location and page, but does not show up the new business location. Therefore everyone thinks we have closed permanently instead of having moved.

How do I rectify this problem, as this error within Google is costing me business and revenue.

This is the old business listing:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=old+skool+tattoo+springwood&oq=old+sk&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60j69...

This is the new listing, that can only be found with typing in "Old skool tattoo cinderella"
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=old+skool+tattoo+springwood&oq=old+sk&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60j69...

If clients/customers don't know where we have moved to, they don't know to type in "cinderella" (current street name)

Please help, as i am stuck on what to do.

Thanks
Jarrod

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jarrod C
December 2015

Re: Old business address and page still showing up on google search

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey @Jarrod C

Google My Business will normally advise that you actually just update the address in your dashboard when you move (not create a new listing) as it would keep your followers/reviews in tact. Since you didn't do that, I would suggest calling Google and asking them to merge the 2 pages so they don't confuse your customers: https://support.google.com/business/contact/business_c2c

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joy

Thank you so much for the reply.

I didn't wish to keep the reviews, as they were negative and derogatory for my business, as they were reviews from years ago before I had taken over.

I shall contact Google now, Thank you :)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It's extremely unlikely that they will merge the page without the reviews. If the page is yours then technically the reviews are yours. They can remove reviews when a business rebrands but if you do that you can't merge the 2 pages (so you have to pick).

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, I shall do that. We were initially planning on keeping both businesses which is why we created two listings. Many thanks for your help.

Sarah.