AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Not visible at all in Google; we are the only B&B in this town

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sujak on Sunnyhill Bed and Breakfast

Lead, SD  57754

605-717-5897

I don't know where to find my google maps url ??

Our website is: suakonsunnyhill.com

When registering with Google my Business I filled in all our information and verified our Bed and Breakfast with Google by postcard two months ago.  Since then our business is not showing up at all in a google search, even as specific a search as "bed and breakfast Lead sd" and we are the only Bed and Breakfast in Lead, SD.  It did show up before I verified it.

I am seeing a suggestion by google to add a description, but see no place where I can add it.  Is this holding up our visibility?  I read another post where someone in the hotel business was seeing the same suggestion but not able to find a location to add a business and was told the description feature may not be available for their category.

Whatever the reason is for us being non existent on Google, I really need help if anyone can help me find out the cause.  Everything I see in my listing appears to be filled in, though Google is still saying to complete my listing and add a description - showing the listing as 80 percent complete.

I also saw that there were some possible updates, and when I tried to click on the links to see what they were I was taken to my detail page and saw no updates to view.  In desperation I clicked on the Agree to all - which I shouldn't have done if it changed something.  This was over three days ago and we are still not showing up in searches so I don't think that had any effect, and I don't see any incorrect information.

Friends and family of ours have tried to bring us up in a google search and are also not seeing us at all.  We opened our business in mid march and are not getting any business through google.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer,

Susan Camden

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Susan C
June

Top Contributor
# 14
Top Contributor

You have it listed as  http://sujakonsunnyhill.com/  and I'm suggesting you change that to  https://sujakonsunnyhill.com/

They look very similar but one has an "s"

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Try changing your category to Hotel.  These types of businesses seem to have problems with Google's latest update!

Re: Not visible at all in Google; we are the only B&B in this town

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Susan C,

I would advise against changing the category to Hotel, Google is constantly experimenting wit search results, and even it is an issue with the Bread and Breakfast category search results there are no guarantees that miss-categorizing the business would improve the search results.

The issue seems to be related to Web Search, since on Maps the identical search brings your listing in second place.

MapsSearch.PNG

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@treebles I agree Google does do testing and it could change back.  However, as a business owner myself being lost in the mix is very costly and simply changing your category temporarily or until it is fixed would have a high probability of fixing it and a Bed and Breakfast technically is a hotel so it isn't that you are violating any guidelines.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Nathan Olsen,

A Bed & Breakfast is not the same as a hotel, although both are of the type lodging in the Local database.

I do not think that tinkering with the category to overcome a ranking issue is a good idea.

Can you guarantee to Susan that her listing is not going to lose her second spot on Maps search and will regain a presence in Web Search by changing the category to hotel?

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@treebles @Susan C

Can I guarantee it?  No, nothing is guaranteed except for death, taxes, and maybe Adwords :).  Can you or anyone guarantee Google is going to resolve the issue?  I am not saying your point is wrong because I can see exactly where you come from and it could resolve over time.  But honestly, I would be willing to bet they aren't really getting anything from being listed only in maps.  They have already lost what they had, are they violating any terms if they were to change the category?  Just my opinion of the situation I have 2 B&B clients and are listed as hotels which until Google fixes their problem they will remain that way so they show up on the front of Google for B&B keywords.  

By all means, everyone can do what they feel is correct, it restored both of my B&B clients to the front page.  

I typically would advise against changes as well but when you do a B&B search and you can clearly see at the bottom of the pack results it says "Hotels" so either this is a glitch or Google clearly thinks B&B is a hotel.  Yes, both lodging but since motel isn't an option for a category which also pulls up "Hotels".

What do you do?  Wait in hopes that Google will resolve it?  Do we have a guaranteed date that is going to happen?  Just my opinion and advice.  I respect your opinion and I wish there was a better way to fix it!  Much like legal services is different than lawyer but if they only ranked lawyers with the category legal services well you find the most relevant category.

Search Bed and Breakfast anywhere and they show "hotels"  you will even see under them 3-star hotel, 4-star hotel, etc.. so in the eyes of Google, a B&B is a hotel.  Just like some lawyers use legal services (I don't recommend) because it's not as relevant.

Once the issue is resolved or if it changes, resolve the new issue at that time.  Once again just my opinion, Google is notorious for changing things and then going back, changing then back just like PO boxes, Virtual offices, and much more so it very well could go away or it could be here to stay to compete with other travel sites.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I believe something went wrong when they claimed the listing because this listing looks new and there is an unverified duplicate that exists using all the same information: https://www.google.com/maps?cid=290095118933535966

I'll ask Google to merge them and see if that fixes it.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you (!!) for finding that and also for your help in seeing if Google can merge the two listings.  I hope this is the problem and we begin to appear!!  

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hey Susan,

Google has merged the 2 pages. Did you end up changing the category? I see it as a hotel currently.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

สวัสดีครับ ผมเป็นเจ้าของธุรกิจ กูเกิล

( ศิริชัย หลอดศิลป์ )