2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Google review

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I currently run a vehicle towing business in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne in Victoria.

I very recently received a notification from Google that I had received a Google review.

I navigated to my page to read this review and was delighted that I had another happy customer.

However whilst I was doing this I noticed I had received another review only 2 days beforehand that was only 1 star and extremely negative.

I've thought long and hard about this review and also gone back through my records and can't find a person with this name or think of anyone who was remotely unhappy with my service.

I've come to the conclusion that this is not a true and honest review and that maybe this person (name) doesn't even exist.

Is there anyway I can somehow verify this or find out if this is a hoax?

This review disturbs me greatly and I can't imagine what perspective customers would think if they read it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Brett.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative Google review

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
your best choice would be responding on the review and telling that way
your other customers you never have done any service for the reviewer in
question and he surely can't have any proof been served by you.
You also should flag it as an inappropriate review

N/A
# 3
N/A
The same thing has happened to our business. 2 weeks ago. Days later we are getting emails from company saying you have a bad review...... We can get rid of this for a fee. Surely this is fraud? We have flagged the review but finding it really hard to get any response from Google. Any ideas what we can do please?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

to the last poster here:

Guessing its fraud but not sure.

However its hard to help you or to escalate the supposed fraud not knowing the business in question and its  negative review nor the email you got to get the review deleted for a fee (note a review can deleted throgh the profile of the reviewer only)

So it's a "pretty good" business model for scammer. 

Perhaps Google would be able to investigate more knowing the missing above infromation 

Not sure though

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the same problem with a review. The review is untrue and was posted by a teenage girl. The girl was not even the person that paid for the room. We are in the hotel business and she is talking about bed bugs. That is a very bad thing in the hotel business. I have flagged it, but am getting phone calls from customers asking if it is true. I truly think that untrue reviews should be removed from the review forum. I am very unhappy that this is not getting taken care of.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Brett M

The ACCC takes a pretty dim view of fake reviews - you can try reporting this one to them if you wish, in addition to taking the steps recommended by @Helmut Geissler.

@Martha S - I recommend following the steps mentioned by Helmut - flag the review, but also reply to it, explaining that the person in question has never stayed in your hotel.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
reporting is your best option, and if you have a receipt or document you give your customers, I would simply post "I could not find you in my records, could you provide a copy of your receipt so I may better your future experience." Or something along those lines where customer service is provided and you will validate whether it is someone mistaking your company for someone else or just a simple mistake.