AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Need to use PO Box address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business is by appointment only - we do not have a storefront/location.  Our PO Box is listed on every other website directory with the exception of Google (Because it does not allow it).  My problem here is the inconsistency for SEO.  Is there anyway around this at all?  

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Need to use PO Box address

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Andrew,

Not really. If you are a service-area business (no storefront) you should be using your home address if you don't have an office. PO boxes don't qualify on lots of core sites.

Here is a guide I wrote on best practices: https://moz.com/blog/intro-local-seo-service-area-businesses

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
business by appointment only not having a storefront/location are not eligible

Create a brand page instead
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Andrew,

Not really. If you are a service-area business (no storefront) you should be using your home address if you don't have an office. PO boxes don't qualify on lots of core sites.

Here is a guide I wrote on best practices: https://moz.com/blog/intro-local-seo-service-area-businesses

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We have a business in a small town. Its a bar. We have a physical address but no mailbox as we do not receive mail. We have a PO Box. I noticed from your post you said create a brand page. what is that? We just want customers to find us & not by our home address.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Patricia,
if you have a bar you want a Local listing, not a Brand page.
Local listings are the ones that can be found on Maps and web search.
You need to provide the physical address because you want people finding you on Maps to be able to get directions to your bar not to the location of the P.O. Box.
Request the postcard to be sent to the physical location of the bar, wait 15 days and if you do not receive the postcard you can contact My Business support to get assistance with the verification.

You can contact Local business support by pressing the Contact Us link at the top of the Business help center
https://support.google.com/business/?hl=en#topic=4539639
You can request a call back from the support team if you contact them during regular business hours.
Monday - Friday, 1 AM - 5 PM PST

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need to use a PO Box for security reasons. I provide ATM services and NEVER want people to know my office location. Help?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

where do you serve your customers ?

At their address or in your p.o.box or at your business address or where else?

Answer this question and I wil tell oyu what or how you cansegt up your business listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anywhere except my location (residence or storage). I always meet at their place of business or a neutral location. Security is the issue. Machines and money. 

Thank you. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Michael M

if yo meet your customers at their adresses then your best option is creating a SAB listing unchecking the little box "I also serve customers at my business address" - this makes Google will hide your address entirly to the public - it just published the city name of the buisness location.

But you have to specify in your GoogleMyBusiness dashboard your physical address - can't avoid this.

P.O.Boxes are not allowed at all!!!

Ths HC article explaines the SAB business creation:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038163?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was on Fort Simpson recently and they only have PO box service for all business and residential addreses. Not sure if you post office allows this or not.. so ask first. The post office in Fort Simpson allowed mail to be addressed to the post office with additional info in the recipent field. Of course that means we used to use mapmaker to move the pins. Now all of the default pins look like there's a tower at the post office.