My Business
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

My google rankings have tanked. What has gone wrong?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Business: Kinetic Chiropractic

Address: 7007 South 181st Street #107 Omaha, NE 68136

Phone: (402) 991-7877

google +: https://plus.google.com/110311070571795821598/about

I've had the site for over a year and my web person keeps telling me that I'll get on the first page eventually but I am still very far from it. In fact, they have dropped the last few months and I do not know why. Maybe you guys can tell me what I need to do to get my ranking up.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My google rankings have tanked. What has gone wrong?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
fire your web person

only scammers promise a definitive ranking.

Google is the company responsible for ranking - not your web person

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

It's easier to have a conversation about this if you let me know what keywords you're typing in that you're not seeing your site on the first page of. 

I looked at Omaha Chiropractic though, I found you on page 8. 

So listen. I know this is the web guy's livelihood, so I hate bad mouthing someone in a spot where they've got no room to defend themselves, but I'm curious... what exactly does he say he's doing for you? I see that you've got a decent amount of citation work done (your business is on yellow pages online, Yelp, manta, and so on) and that's good, but at this point in history, ranking for local businesses is also largely dependent on how well your website is ranking. It's not enough anymore to get your Google My Business profile set up well, get some reviews, get some citations, maybe put some schema and a map on your website, and call it a day. If you're in a competitive industry, you just can't expect big results anymore without some work spent on organic SEO as well. 

Quick bit of vocabulary: a backlink is when a 3rd party website links to you. For example, if the new york times does a story and quotes you as an expert, linking to your site... that's an amazing backlink. If you donate money to a local charity and they link to you on their donar's page, that's a backlink. It used to be too (late 2012 and before) that you can could get a ton of bogus backlinks and see benefit from it. Now if you build backlinks in the wrong way, you can completely tank your site, it can be really challenging to recover from if you screw things up. 

I'm not saying all this person needs to start doing to round out his services is start building backlinks as well (I didn't take a good in-depth look across the board) but at the very least, you aren't going to get anywhere too important without it, and what's more, if this person tries to learn on the fly and picks the wrong learning resources, they're likely to cause more harm than good. If you're hiring someone for SEO, always, always be very careful to make sure they're not going to build backlinks in a spammy way. 

Anyway, the short story... your moving up isn't 'just a matter of time'. No amount of waiting is going to change things, a big part of the work that needs to be done hasn't even started yet. I looked on ahref, it found 10 backlinks for you, and they were all from citations. That's it. 

On the plus side though, you should at least be relieved this person didn't cause any damage for you, so that's a plus. 

For what it's worth, most people in this area aren't really up to speed with what they're doing, and this person may very well mean well. It's hard to learn this stuff since it changes so quickly, and it can be challenging to find up-to-date information unless you network with the right people and do your own research. Plus, many people claiming to do SEO are actually (potentially very competent) web designers, and that's fine. It's partly a problem just because so many small business owners want to work with one jack of all trades, so that's what a lot of industry people try and present themselves as, instead of just playing to their own strengths. But my own musings on the poor state of the SEO industry aside, you should probably look for new help. 

Edit: Helmut's assertion aside (definitely don't hire someone that promises you spot #1) there are definitely people who can influence things. Maybe they can't get you specific rankings, but you can definitely stack the deck in your favor. Either way, when it comes to your particular web person, I do agree with Helmut. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the nice detailed response. There was a lot of information and I feel like I learned a lot and made me think maybe my web guys aren't keeping their end of the agreement. I see I received a call from you. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Thanks!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You haven't gotten a call from me at least, though I'm always happy to answer more questions. Glad I could help. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

My google rankings have tanked. What has gone wrong?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

can you help me with my link www.smilecaredubai.com  i am not able to rank it on first page although we have been doing SEO for more than a year by a specialized company. can you guide me as i have no clue about this.