AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

My business listing stopped showing in search results

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I hope I selected the right "location" for my subject. If I should post elsewhere, please let me know. 

A few weeks ago my company stopped showing up for branded searches in the right-hand results. For years our business listing would show up in the knowledge panel for pretty much any branded search. Whether it be a branded search on its own or a branded search + city or + city/state or + zip code. Now all of a sudden it stopped getting displayed no matter what gets searched unless we do brand name + full address.

I've tried everything (so i think)

• I introduced structured data for local business (tested & implemented)
  • Added new pictures
  • Gaining new positive reviews
  • Made sure the name, address and phone is consistent across all other directories/citations
  • Removed our 888 number and added our local number
  • Claimed all possible listings

We are at an actual address in a real building with real staff. When I go to Maps, I zoom in on our building and our name doesn't pop up no matter how close I zoom. Other business in our building come up but not ours and I can guarantee we are more optimized them in terms of local. 

Somewhat feels like Google is taking action against us for some reason. 

Here is our info:

WebiMax
2 Aquarium Loop Dr #140 Camden NJ 08103
856-840-8301
https://goo.gl/maps/Ghq8wAnPTdq
https://www.webimax.com/

The following searches use to bring up our business listing on the right hand side:

webimax

webimax camden

webimax nj

webimax camden nj

webimax camden nj

webimax 08103

webimax camden 08103

These queries now don't bring it up. 

In order to bring it up I have to use a query such as this:

webimax company 2 aquarium loop dr camden nj

When looking at insights, our search visibility stats are crashing. 

Maps visibility is up though. 

Please help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matthew H
June

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

I appreciate you taking the time to discuss this situation.

And apologies for any confusion, those are not our categories. Those are the categories for the business that was in question for that particular post. I meant we have similar problems because their listing is also not displayed in the right-side of the search results when the brand name is searched. We only have 3 categories - internet marketing service, marketing agency, and web design. We are going to test out just one category and see how that goes. 

We have more reviews than most of our competitors in our area. We also have local markup unlike most of our competitors as I checked their code. It is so interesting that when I search their brand name I get their business listing to the right but when I search ours it doesn't show. 

The search volume for our brand name is fairly high. And when I get more specific by viewing the volume of our branded phrases within our location the numbers are still high. So all those searchers searching our brand name (and brand-like phrases) within our location are now not seeing our business listing on the right side. 

Therefore all those branded searches that brought up our business listing would normally show our "insights" metrics on searches as up but since it is no longer being shown the stats show searches visibility as down. 

If there are any other recommendations or anyone else that may be of help, please let me know.

I really do appeciate your time.  

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Matthew,

The terms you are searching for are all brand type of terms. If you are not using an incognito browser you are getting different results than others would get. What is your analytics showing for change in traffic in this period? With local problem-solving search terms have the numbers changed? This one random test puts you at the top in maps

Thanks for asking,

David

David W Cox, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Find me on: Google+ | Facebook |

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

Yes, they are all branded phrases. That is my main reason for concern and the reason for question. I search for competitors or other businesses near me by their brand name and their business listing shows on the right side.

I am using all different types of windows and browsers: Chrome: logged in, not logged in, guest, incognito. 

And thanks for your test! I am seeing the same. Though I am only concerned with branded searches at the moment. I am trying to understand why all of a sudden why our branded searches stopped displaying our business listing in the knowledge panel. Your test shows us in the local pack which we seem to be doing OK in. My concern is on the brand level and being shown to searches when they search our brand name. 

Per your analytics questions, search visibility is down and maps visibility is up. 

• Search views (-37%)
  • Maps views (+22%)

That drop in search views is in direct correlation with our business listing not being shown for our branded searches. 

Any additional thoughts?

PS - This post is very similar to my issue but only difference is that we have a physical address and they do not. I am going to try reducing the amount of categories we are listed in.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-Business-Owners/Business-listing-missing-from-o...

Thanks!!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mathew,

I am not so sure you can make the correlation. As James mentioned your categories are \"Internet Marketing Service\",\"Advertising\",\"Business Service\",\"Design Services\",\"Digital Media\",\"E Commerce\",\"Marketing Agency\",\"Marketing Consultant\",\"Media\",\"Public Relations Firm\",\"Services Companies\",\"Website Designer\ So the options to be found are large and as James mentioned cutting them down may help.

For customer acquisition and leads is your brand recognition so much greater than search terms based on customers needs?

The search results are not so much based on categories as total signals found both online and offline. So boosting up the name of the company and how it services Camden area customers should affect that particular search. Have you checked variation in reviews your listing vs competition you are checking? The only change I know of that is recent is how reviews are counted. They no longer show reviews that are older and just stars with no text description of the review. This is a big factor but 200 or so factors in the listing ranking make it hard to pin one thing down. That would be the first thing I would compare with all competitors. Second, there are a lot of new features available for a listing such as description, services, video, posts, questions that can all help your listing show up. I give more content signals to Google and many companies are not using them.

Thanks for asking,

David

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Find me on: Google+ | Facebook |
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matthew H
June

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

I appreciate you taking the time to discuss this situation.

And apologies for any confusion, those are not our categories. Those are the categories for the business that was in question for that particular post. I meant we have similar problems because their listing is also not displayed in the right-side of the search results when the brand name is searched. We only have 3 categories - internet marketing service, marketing agency, and web design. We are going to test out just one category and see how that goes. 

We have more reviews than most of our competitors in our area. We also have local markup unlike most of our competitors as I checked their code. It is so interesting that when I search their brand name I get their business listing to the right but when I search ours it doesn't show. 

The search volume for our brand name is fairly high. And when I get more specific by viewing the volume of our branded phrases within our location the numbers are still high. So all those searchers searching our brand name (and brand-like phrases) within our location are now not seeing our business listing on the right side. 

Therefore all those branded searches that brought up our business listing would normally show our "insights" metrics on searches as up but since it is no longer being shown the stats show searches visibility as down. 

If there are any other recommendations or anyone else that may be of help, please let me know.

I really do appeciate your time.  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This has been solved! Perhaps it was all the categories? We will probably never know but thanks for the help.

Re: My business listing stopped showing in search results

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
It would be an interesting test to put back a number of categories and see resulting effect, since you can always go back. I am not saying you should but would be interesting

Get Outlook for Android<>

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After years of being on top for local searches by business Roseville Bail Bobds isn't showing up ANYWHERE on a "bail bonds Roseville CA" search. I've called GoDaddy and emailed with google no one seems to know.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Josh, 

Could you post this question as a new post with full details this post has been answered so it will not get your question answered. Please include full details