2.5K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

My business is not coming up when i search, help please

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi my name is Jeffery Briand I have currently updated all my google business info in January. New address and etc. I have added multiple photos, have asked customers to write reviews all within the last couple days, I know have total 6 reviews all 5 stars. My business info is all completed and everything, I don't understand why I cant see my business when I do a search. I have called google help line multiple times, I am not having much luck. please help. thanks

company name : Island Movers

complete address is : 2007 new Waterford hwy South bar Nova scotia. B1N3H6

telephone number: 902-371-0530

google url :   https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Island+Movers/@45.8472811,-69.1831531,5z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x...

company website: www.islandmovers.ca

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I am seeing your business when I search: Island Movers nova scoita

Re: My business is not coming up when i search, help please

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

yes when I search the name and location it will come up. when I search "movers Sydney nova scotia"

I don't appear in the list that comes up I have tried to click on show more and extended the list and I'm still not on there. thanks for the reply.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It is difficult to discuss ranking in any objective way. But I will give you some broad strokes that will help make your business more visible to searchers. 

Google does use 3 broad metrics for ranking a set of results:
Proximity
Relevance
Prominence

Proximity is defined as how close the listing is to the assumed position of the searcher. Some searches have a radius of only several miles around the point defined by that assumed position. This depends on your industry and its density. 

Relevance is all the things that Google looks at to understand what a business is and does. It is not a binary assignation and has valence... so a business could be more relevant than another and rank higher. Relevance is accrued to a listing by things like:
- business name
- category at Google
- category elsewhere
- review content at Google
- review content elsewhere
- website content
- anchor text content
- social content
- newspaper article content

Prominence speaks to the idea of quantity and quality of "on-line votes" for the business. This is primarily in the form of links to their website, the local quality of those links and the quality of the websites from which they came. A link from the NY Times is likely worth more than a link from the Olean Times Herald.

So it is difficult, given the complexity of Google's approach, to determine why you are not showing without some research and knowing how competitive your industry is.

Generally speaking will have a pretty good chance of ranking if you
-have a well designed website with good content and good title tags
-get some reviews at Google and around the web
-have done a good job of categorizing and explaining your business at the sites that Google looks at
- and get some links to your website from other local businesses and places like the Better Business Bureau

Re: My business is not coming up when i search, help please

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok thank you. How long does it normally take the the business to move up in the ranking once the business starts to get reviews and etc. How does my website look? Ok ?

Sent from my iPhone

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

How long does it normally take the the business to move up in the ranking once the business starts to get reviews

Each site assigns authority to the listing in a different way. The answer to this is that it depends on the site and how they treat the reviews. In controlled tests at specific sites one can see it happen very quickly. In the real world it takes several years. 

and etc. 

It depends on what the etc is. But you need to think in terms of 6 to 9 months IF you do things correctly

How does my website look? Ok ?

Its a good start but could use improvement.

In terms of user experience, I think that it doesn't make the obvious things visible to the reader soon enough on either the desktop or mobile. If you want people to call you then the Call to Action should be a big, visible phone number that is clickable on cell phones. Perhaps there are other call to actions that are important to you but I would think a call or perhaps a form fill would be two of the most important. And they are not obvious until a user goes into your site. 

It doesn't really tell Google what you do in detail or and it is not that explicit about where.

You home page needs more description of what you do. It should include links into the critical content that supports that and it should include your phone, number, business name, address. 

Each of your services, if they are important, should have their own page of detailed content so that the users understand what you do and how you do it. 

And you should have more social proof that you are a reliable business (BBB membership, testimonials etc)