1.9K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

My business does not show up on google maps when searched by keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We do not show up on the map with keyword searches. Example: we have a first page result for "cd duplication" but are not present on the map. We are verified and do show up on the map when searching for our business name, CD-Lab. I was told that because the address was edited on April 11th it would take up to thirty days for this to take effect. Well, it's been thirty days and we still are not on the map. The website is cdlab.com

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rob W
May 2016

Re: My business does not show up on google maps when searched by keywords

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Man, I even saw the xorax site, I can't believe that didn't jump out as being a bigger problem. The fact that you've got the same number for both could definitely be an issue, though it can be a hassle changing the number for one and making sure you clean it up everywhere. Definitely pick the one that's less important when making that switch, but I'd definitely recommend making that number different for the two businesses. 

I noticed you had a site migration as well, I didn't take the time to look under the hood for that, but that can be an issue if you had a lot of links pointing to the old location and you didn't 301 redirect properly. That's just an organic thing though, and since your site was showing on the first page, but your business wasn't anywhere in the maps I would think that's not related. Probably more to do with the phone number being the same for both businesses, and the address formatting issues. I noticed too, that Xorax, while being at the same address, has the address formatted yet another way. There's definitely a bit of a mess to clean up.

As far as why I recommended doing a search for CD-lab instead of cdlab... I was having you do a look for a fragment of the NAP (name address and phone number). I was going off the business name in other words, not the website domain name.  

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm assuming you're talking about this page, correct? 

Here's the NAP:
CD-Lab
23335 N 18th Dr B-140 Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 334-9277

Map maker:
http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=90&cid=8057746089172969242

It looks like the address change was more of a formatting issue than an actual move. 

So there's a few reasons your business might not show in the map search, most of it boils down to Google not having enough trust in your business for whatever reason. That can be because it's a new business, that can be because there's not much about your business around the internet, or that can be because there's conflicting information around the internet about your business. I found a good number of places your business was listed either with no suite (map quest) or with just suite 140. There's a lot of things Google knows to distinguish between (# and suite are pretty much interchangeable for example) but having the presence or absence of the whole suite number itself might be what's causing some problems. 

I'd say to start with, do a search for cd-lab 23335. What that's going to do, is pull up a list of sites that Google sees as being most authoritative and important that has a listing about your business. Go through that list, and see which sites have you listed incorrectly, and change the ones that you can change on the first page or two. I'll warn you in advance though, some of them (yahoo local in particular) are going to be next to impossible to change for free, so just do what you can, and if you get stuck, move on to the next one. It doesn't need to be perfect. 

The next thing I'd do, is add schema to your website. It's basically just a way for you to tell Google directly 'hey, here's the important information about my business!' and might also help Google get clear about it. Here's a great guide about how to add that to your website, it'll take you maybe 10 minutes to do, so definitely hit that. 

I'd also add a map to your website that links to your profile, that can help connect the dots a little bit as well. You can use this code to do it:
<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m14!1m8!1m3!1d13277.746058794719!2d-112.097393!3d33.697652!3m... width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you want one that's a different size, or if someone else is reading this and wants to know how to get that embed code, read this

Your site's ranking organically on the first page, so my guess is if you clean up some of that address stuff and make your site give more of a clear signal to Google, that'll help. It might take a month for you to see that change though, things move slowly with local search. Definitely more like planting a tree than lighting a torch, but once you've got yourself showing well, it can be a long-term consistent source of leads for your business. Good luck!

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the info. I have two questions:

We have a another business with the same address (xopax.com) - would that
cause a problem?

Last summer we moved our site from cd-lab.com to cdlab.com. do you think
there is any confusion relating to this? I noticed you suggested searching
cd-lab 23335 instead of cdlab 23335

Thanks again, this is really important to us...rob

--
Rob Walker
Office: 623 334 9277
Toll Free: 866 300-3408
www.cdlab.com
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rob W
May 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Man, I even saw the xorax site, I can't believe that didn't jump out as being a bigger problem. The fact that you've got the same number for both could definitely be an issue, though it can be a hassle changing the number for one and making sure you clean it up everywhere. Definitely pick the one that's less important when making that switch, but I'd definitely recommend making that number different for the two businesses. 

I noticed you had a site migration as well, I didn't take the time to look under the hood for that, but that can be an issue if you had a lot of links pointing to the old location and you didn't 301 redirect properly. That's just an organic thing though, and since your site was showing on the first page, but your business wasn't anywhere in the maps I would think that's not related. Probably more to do with the phone number being the same for both businesses, and the address formatting issues. I noticed too, that Xorax, while being at the same address, has the address formatted yet another way. There's definitely a bit of a mess to clean up.

As far as why I recommended doing a search for CD-lab instead of cdlab... I was having you do a look for a fragment of the NAP (name address and phone number). I was going off the business name in other words, not the website domain name.  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I dont see my business information on the map, Its not registered, Please need help to verify my business and I can verify the code as well.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Cheryl C

Please start your own thread providing there all information to understand and investigate your issue
This allows us to keep the forum organized and gives you the attention you need.
This ( https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business/ct-p/GMB ) is our top level Community--from there, you can click into the board title that is most applicable for your issue. Once you're in an individual board, you can click on the red/pink + sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Closing this very old thread for any new responses