AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

My business does not always appear on Google Maps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. Full business name:  The UPS Store
2. Current business address: 2100 M St NW, Washington, DC 20037
3. Current telephone number: (202) 775-4302
4. Google+ URL: https://plus.google.com/101138504816756465023/posts

For over a year I have tried working with Google Business Support but no matter what I do very little progress is made each month.  As per the request of Google, i have been active on Google+ and Facebook.  I am one of the most reviewed stores via Yelp and Google and have a very high rating as well.  I have added videos to Google+ and also several pictures, many of which link to other websites.  Every time they GUARANTEE this will work within 1-2 months, yet no progress has been made.

The issue I am having is that my business does not always appear on Google Maps.  Currently two of the most popular search results still do not work.  The unfortunate thing is that several other popular search queries will also not work throughout the course of the month.  Below is an example of two searches that "should work" as our store is verified and has been around for a long time.  All of these used to work over a year ago, but recently have stopped working.  

Everything in our google business page is accurate and has been verified.  No one can figure this out!  Please help! (and please let me know if you need more information).

Google Search/Map Examples:

The UPS Store DC

The UPS StoreThe UPS Store DC.JPGThe UPS Store DCThe UPS Store.JPGThe UPS Store

These two contain the name of the business and one of them has DC 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My business does not always appear on Google Maps

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
This post intrigued me - and I pinged a friend in DC right around the corner from you to check on his Android. You came up no problem. I ran multiple checks and also returned you no problem on both Google search and on Google Maps App search.

Are you completely anonymizing your search? Your searches are modified byGoogle based on search history. Are you looking on Google.com (where most people look), Google Maps, etc?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Chang C

To add my two cents to the answer of @Phillip B

I have a hard time to get you on a search like "The UPS Store Washington DC" - 

Getting 6 pages of results without yours.

But I get you if searching or centering to your corner on GMaps and then searching for just UPS:

Screenshot 2016-05-29 at 11.53.52.png

I have no clue why its so hard to find you properly.

The only point I like to mention:

Searching for just your plain street address "2100 M St NW Washington, DC 20037" gives  me a marker closer to the street as if getting your business shown up.

Not sure it's causing this issue

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Okay, looks like you've got another UPS store at 1718 M St NW, Washington, DC 20036. Within less than half a mile. I have a friend there all weekend and I asked him to do a little test on Android. On mobile, this store -- and then the one over on L -- is given preference 80% of the time - he was traveling from GWU Hospital east. Only in the GWU hospital parking lot was your location preferred. I have seen this before - both in Chicago and NYC. Traffic patterns, main streets, checkins, location tracking -- I am betting the 1718 M St store has higher foot traffic. It looks like it may be easier to get to from many locations.

You do show up consistently on desktop, but rarely on mobile. This may be simply Google scoring the other location higher based on traffic patterns and foot traffic. From observations and benchmarking from other local SEO folks, I can tell you that your Yelp and Google reviews, outbound links, Google+ videos etc., have no discoverable impact on map pack or local search position. Only reputable, inbound natural links to your web site location page on the UPS site will move the needle organically.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have had several people on both desktop computers, laptops, mobile devices and tablets do this same search. Using both Google Maps and Google.com search. Some searches work, while others do not. I have had people test this on their personal accounts and also incognito.

We have also had people test this in DC, VA, and MD.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes this issues has caused us so much stress. Our business has lot money over the past year and it directly correlates with the google issue. some weeks certain search queries work.. then the following week it does not. I almost feel like our competitors are causing issues by potentially contacting google and telling them our store does not exist or something.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Phillip. Thanks for the response. What are some examples of natural links that could help move the needle?

Also unfortunately we are the only store that does not show up in the DC area. Not sure why the other stores in the area all show up (even if they are close together). this is really causing our store a lot of stress.

It's also interesting that you or your friend is able to get this to work, while we have had 10+ people attempt this with no success. One thing to note is that if you go to maps.google.com our store shows up with more success, however if you do a google search then click the map or go through the list, our store does not show up.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Your primary web presence is a single web page on the UPS Store site. Based on my experience working with franchises, I have to be honest -- there is little you can actually do to move the needle. Any organic change you make on that single page will have little impact. Your location is using Yext for local citation management, so you are already getting those linking signals in.

If your franchise agreement allows it, your best bet is AdWords - use a location extension and disable automatic sitelink extensions so you don't send traffic to your other UPS stores.