Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

My Google Plus Business Page Has Been Changed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all.

Would anyone be able to advise please? I've had a Google+ business page which I had no problems with. All of a sudden I realised that the link from my Google+ social media button on my website was taking visitors to an ugly looking Google+ page, certainly not the same page that I created.

Not sure why its happened. I have checked the link to the original page that I created and also the link to the ugly page and the URLs are exactly the same??????????????? weird.

The link is https://plus.google.com/+WinnerswebdesignUk7/about

Any help at all would be appreciated.  Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elle A
March 2016

Re: My Google Plus Business Page Has Been Changed

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Elle A

There was a big Google+ design change last November. There's a ton that's been written about depending on what you want to know, but suffice it to say... yep, looks different now. For what it's worth, Google+ as a social media platform has never been a hugely helpful tool for local business owners, now more so than ever. But, if you want your business to be showing up well for local customers (say, for London Graphic Design and so on), or you want your business to show in the knowledge graph when someone types in your brand name, then creating a proper Google My Business profile is a good way to start. @Colan's right, that Google+ page you have isn't the right one for local business owners. You'll want to go here. note you'll have to verify by postcard, and that can take a bit. You definitely want to set that up though, you want your business to show properly when someone's typing in your brand name at least. 

Even when that's all fixed though, the new Google+ also gutted pages for local business owners. It looks like your current page only has one follower, and even when you build the right kind of page, there won't be much reason to send people there since they won't even be able to leave you a review there anymore. You might as well delete your link to Google+ entirely, and if you do want to send customers somewhere to leave a review, use this link once you've got your actual local business Google+ profile set up, instead of just the brand page you have now. 

Hope that helped!

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Elle A What exactly has changed and become ugly? The page you linked to is a brand page. Did you originally create a local page?

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elle A
March 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Elle A

There was a big Google+ design change last November. There's a ton that's been written about depending on what you want to know, but suffice it to say... yep, looks different now. For what it's worth, Google+ as a social media platform has never been a hugely helpful tool for local business owners, now more so than ever. But, if you want your business to be showing up well for local customers (say, for London Graphic Design and so on), or you want your business to show in the knowledge graph when someone types in your brand name, then creating a proper Google My Business profile is a good way to start. @Colan's right, that Google+ page you have isn't the right one for local business owners. You'll want to go here. note you'll have to verify by postcard, and that can take a bit. You definitely want to set that up though, you want your business to show properly when someone's typing in your brand name at least. 

Even when that's all fixed though, the new Google+ also gutted pages for local business owners. It looks like your current page only has one follower, and even when you build the right kind of page, there won't be much reason to send people there since they won't even be able to leave you a review there anymore. You might as well delete your link to Google+ entirely, and if you do want to send customers somewhere to leave a review, use this link once you've got your actual local business Google+ profile set up, instead of just the brand page you have now. 

Hope that helped!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Colan,

I created a business page which had a lot more information about my business on it but JamesW seems to have answered my question. I am sorry for taking so long to get back and thank you. I appreciate you taking the time out. Cheers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi James,

Thanks for the information. It been very useful. I really wish I had someone that could look after this aspect of things for me as I do not find the time. Not in a position to pay someone yet but working towards it. Thank you so much for taking time to reach out.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

No problem, and yeah... I'm a small business owner myself, I know how it goes trying to juggle all the plates without stepping too far outside your skillset or making yourself crazy. Glad I could help!