My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

My CALL button in Google Maps App results goes to competitor number!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When doing a search using the Google Maps App on iPhone for "injury attorney fort worth", when I scroll down to my Arlington business listing there is a CALL button beside the listing. Clicking that CALL button goes to my competitor!  

But my number is correct on my My Business listing, so this doesn't make sense!
If I instead click into my business listing details there I see my correct phone number on my Google My Business listing, and the CALL button inside my listing goes to my correct number.

I am starting to see this happen for a few of my locations, and they are each calling different competitors!

This is not good!!

My details:
device:  iPhone 
app: Google Maps App
search query:  injury attorney fort worth
my listing : David S Kohm & Associates, Randol Mill Rd, Arlington TX
my CORRECT number, which is correct on my Google My Business listing:  (817) 861-8400

BUT, if you click the CALL button in the Google Maps App list results it goes to: (817) 294-1900
which is an entirely different law firm, different address, etc. - Anderson Law Firm, one of our competitors!

Screenshot of Google Maps App results with the offending CALL button:

http://screencast.com/t/tLVV75jc2i

But if you click into my listing you will see the correct number is displayed on the listing:

http://screencast.com/t/fEjgV8Jd

Can anyone give any guidance on how to get this resolved. Phone support for Google My Business was not able to figure out what I was talking about or replicate it, and the Google Maps Help Forum experts didn't know how to fix it either
so I hoped showing it here with examples would help explain.

Thanks for any input or guidance you can give!
Best regards,
Adam
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My CALL button in Google Maps App results goes to competitor numbe

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Adam H

I tried it on my end (I mean searching for "injury attorney fort worth")

I then get at least three businesses listed named as "David S Kohm & Associates"

But just one only at the "Randol Mill Rd".

Clicking then the call icon I create a call for  (817) 861-8400

Not at all calling (817) 294-1900.

therefore please at first the question:

clicking the call icon for the  listed  "David S Kohm & Associates" did you checked having selected the correct one of the three listed  "David S Kohm & Associates"?

If so and still getting the wrong phone number to call the business it might be (but frankly I don't believe it) an Maps issue on IOS devicesas I made my test on a Android.

But in case you soon will confirm me having selected the correct  "David S Kohm & Associates" at  the "Randol Mill Rd" I will ask a fellow TC using an iphone trying your issue to  replicate on his iphone.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Helmut Geissler I performed the test (searching for "injury attorney fort worth) and received the same result: the phone number that came up for the "Randal Mill Rd" location was (817) 861-8400.

I have an iPhone 6s and used Google Maps to perform the search. My location is Colorado.

The "Camp Bowie Blvd" location for the brand "David S Kohm & Associates" result showed up first at #8, then the "Randol Mill Rd" location next, further down at #14.

My questions:

1. @Adam H Why are we performing a keyword phrase search as opposed to a branded search?
  2. @Helmut Geissler Could performing a search for a primary keyword phrase even yield different phone numbers for a location than a branded search for the location?
  3. @Helmut Geissler If several of us are performing this search and clicking his result, is this going to positively manipulate his ranking for this result?

Regardless, I hope this gets resolved as quickly and satisfactory as possible.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, it is the Randol Mill Rd location with the wrong phone number when in the list results.

For a brief backstory, when I posted on Google Maps Help also the Camp Bowie listing dialed the wrong number to another competitor also!
But since that posting someone or somehow that Call button was fixed, but the one for Randol Mill is still going the wrong place.

We have confirmed this for searches performed both locally in Fort Worth, as well as remotely from South Carolina, US.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Craig M

I'm not sure what is there to fix?

there are obviously several businesses named as "David S Kohm & Associates"

And the phone for the one at the correct street obviously comes up correctly on either Android or iPhone (thank you for making the test with an Apple phone)

But if you asked me about ranking of the several businesses named as "David S Kohm & Associates":

The only answer I have is directing you on Googles HC article  "Ranking of local results on Google"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Craig,
We are performing a keyword phrase search because that's what I was doing when I found the problem initially. That's what people do when they are trying to find a local attorney who may be in another city and they don't know any by name.

I'm sorry to confuse you guys that I was searching "fort worth" and then clicking the Arlington one, (Fort Worth and Arlington are very close) but when I first found this problem all of my office listings on that search, including the Fort Worth one, were all dialing different competitor phone numbers, even though the phone numbers within the listings were correct.

Please note guys, I am specifically talking about the CALL button in the map search results list. The call button inside their listing if you click into it works properly.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
I also were talking "about the CALL button in the map search results list" - getting the phone number ending on 8400 for the GMaps app provided listing at "Randal Mill Rd"

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Adam H Thank you for answering my question.

I am having trouble replicating your problem:

• I searched "injury attorney fort worth" from Google Maps on an iPhone 6s.
  • Your "Randol Mill Rd" location showed up in the #14 spot (update- the "Randol Mill Rd" result is still in the same location on the Maps' result).
  • When clicking "Call" from the search result—not the knowledge panel—the number I received was (817) 861-8400.

If I followed your instructions correctly, I was not able to produce your result. Perhaps someone else may be able to.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Adam H

I cannot replicate.

When I click call from Samsung I get : +1 817-861-8400

However, digging deeper, you guys have really been playing around with the business pages.

2 x Business Pages:

Current Verified : https://plus.google.com/111342141265731169181/about

Unverified : https://plus.google.com/117475399656913453310/about

( this is the one that should have been claimed and verified, the only reason its still showing is because of slight change in address and tel number )

Because of this page, you had a two more pages disabled:

https://plus.google.com/116025218466483180758/about

https://plus.google.com/105721830924525281730/about

I recommend you contact Business Support to merge the unverified page into the verified page :

https://support.google.com/business/contactflow

The two disabled pages, can just be deleted.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow this same thing is happening to my business also Polgar Tree Service & Removal LLC (734) 585-8549 . If I go to google maps (type key words Tree Removal Michigan) scroll down to my business name and call the phone button (first) and without clicking the site it's redirected to other tree companies. This is no mistake. I have had site for a year now. I just found this out yesterday