AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

My Business has "Fallen Off the Maps!"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. Full business name: Clearwater Beach Photography
2. Current business address: New Port Richey, Florida 34654
3. Current telephone number: 727-808-5212
4. Google+ URL: https://plus.google.com/b/108564037953847628622/+Clearwaterbeachphotography/about/p/pub?gmbpt=true&p...

First of all, I want to say thank you to all of the experts and contributors who help make this forum an invaluable resource for troubleshooting all things Google. Your efforts are much appreciated.

My company, Clearwater Beach Photography, has been in business for approximately 5 years and has been ranking first on Google places since it's inception due to minimal competition until recently. It is a verified listing, profile 100% complete and accurate, and everything up-to-date, as far as I can see. But, when I performed a Google search this morning for simply "Clearwater Beach Photography", where I have always ranked, the company has seemed to, well... fallen off the map. It's a bit of a disappointment, as I believe the 5 star rating and positive reviews that are present when shown in Places are one of the reasons my business has been so successful.

Here's some additional information that may be of help. The verified address for my business is my home address, as the business is strictly on-location photography, which begins approximately 40 miles from where I live, and as far as 60 miles away. Under my listing, I do not have "I also provide services at my business location" checked, so my home address doesn't show up. But, instead, have a service area of 65 miles from my business location selected. This may or may not be a contributing factor, as I don't know how, why or what is used to determine what get's listed and where. I would imagine that if some one searched for Clearwater Beach (which is a city) Photography, and it falls within the 65 mile radius of my work area, I should continue to pop up. Am I correct?

Previously, I had noticed some strange anomalies occurring on my listing, such as other Photographer's photos showing up under my photos, linking to their website, which might cause confusion to people interested in my services, but that issue pales in comparison to disappearing completely. Any and all help is highly appreciated. If you need any additional information, don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has gone through this, but I'm hoping I will be the one to help others finally get to a resolve with the help of the experts. Many thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My Business has "Fallen Off the Maps!"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Haha @Paul R

it (your business) is  not "fallen off the maps"

Its still there and I get it if searching for just "Clearwater Beach Photography New Port Richey"

Screenshot 2016-01-23 at 19.30.06.png

But it seems you 

- either specified a Service Area with hidden address on a very big radius of about 40 miles  or so.

- or specified an address having an "address issue" (not sure what and why)

Guessing you specified a large SA with hidden address:

Screenshot 2016-01-23 at 19.33.54.png

Note SAB with hidden addresses never get shown wit a marker on GMaps.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the initial reply, Helmut! Much obliged! You are correct... large service area. If I could bring the beach that I service closer to me, I would, for the beaches nearby are, for lack of a better terms... crappy!

Now, it is certainly good to see that it hasn't vanished into the abyss completely, but the strange thing is, I've always lived where I live and I've always worked where I worked, during the life of this business. Clearwater Beach is a city itself, and my success has come from clients searching for "Clearwater Beach Photography" or "Clearwater Beach Photographer". I would estimate that the number of people searching for Clearwater Beach Photography New Port Richey would be null. So, there lies the issue. Why now has it decided to classify me as a Photographer in my city rather than where I work, now? Very strange. Solutions? Well, I could fake an address like many do on google places that will bring me closer to my work area... which I'm NOT going to do. I could rent a virtual office located in Clearwater Beach so that I have a valid business address that will get me a marker and possibly get me back where I need to be on the maps. Or, I could hear a bit more feedback from others to see if there are any other ways to appropriately get the business showing again. Any ideas, anyone?

By the way, Helmut. I notice that you are one of the first to respond to posts on the forums. Excellent job, my friend! Your time is valuable and your efforts don't go unnoticed. I solute you!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Paul R

Firstly in my experience anything set over 40 miles does not perform well.

What i think is happening here is, Google is trying to return businesses that mach the query / locality.

Although it is in your name, you are actually in New Port Richey, so if someone searches, Clear Water Beach Photography, they are looking for Clear Water Beach specifically.

Notice how the Map, is zoomed in on Clear water beach.

screencapture (4).png

However, when i add, Florida to the search query, it expands the results, because I am looking florida

screencapture (5).png

I believe this is Google trying to return more accurate local results for a search query location.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tim! EXCELLENT Illustration on how Google Maps is seeing things through keyword searches and phrases! Thank you. I figured this may in fact be one of the culprits, as a lot of what Google responds to is common sense. But, again, I was ranking right their on top of the two photographers listed up until I checked it this morning, which is where my confusion comes in, unless something has changed that I'm unaware of.

I wasn't sure if Google listed businesses in rank of distance from search destination or relevance to the keyword phrase's subject matter, so long as the city is within the service area. But, I can certainly entertain the idea that the further away you are from the locality of the search, the more watered down your relevance becomes. Thank you for your contribution to my inevitable resolve.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Paul R 

an other two cents to what @Tim Capper said:

please compare your business specificatione (regarding its service area) and one of your competition as below:

Screenshot 2016-01-23 at 20.28.16.png

and I have some other surprising news for you:

This competitor comes better ranked as you.

But an hour ago you did not showed up with him.

Now you do for "Clearwater Beach Photography"

Screenshot 2016-01-23 at 20.30.28.png

Happy weekend

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, again, Helmut. As you can see, I am working on things as we type. I don't take any of my business elements lightly, nor do I take the input from the forum contributors lightly. So, I am making changes that will hopefully get me back where I need to be.

As for the other competitor that ranks more as me... it's no surprise. I've been dealing with that issue for two years. I am incorporated, yet that has very little bearing on things like social networking sites; Facebook, etc. He claimed the name before I came along on facebook, so yes... that has caused confusion causing me to get calls from his unhappy customers. He is actually based out of South Carolina, but uses the address of a major hotel as his own for ranking on google places. I tried reporting it, but received a canned message from Google basically stating that since I'm not the business owner, they can't discuss it with me. I also contacted the hotel to let them know, but they're not interested in little things like this. I'm actually surprised that Google hasn't delisted him for fraudulently using a false address. Thank you again for your time, Sir. Have a great weekend. I will report back once I'm back on the map in my service areas and will include notes of what was done to get me there. My very best to those who have taken the time to reply.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh Paul this is EXACTLY what I have been trying to describe in my post. Something changed dramatically with Google places in the last week. I was ranking along another photographer when searching ' Adelaide wedding Photography' in the top three. I was number 4 for quite a while but with some good work and content I got there. The other photographer had been there for around a year. Last week we and others fell from the top to 14th and 17th?? We have photographers above us with zero reviews and some without even addresses listed. i cannot for the life of me understand what's going on here.

If it's purely a location based thing it's not really working. Rarely would someone I would think search for a wedding photographer in a suburb. They would always search for a city. In my example I live in Adelaide Australia. i live in a small suburb called Craigburn Farm. 99% of searches would be 'Adelaide wedding Photography' and it seems that it's been changed that for the most part it's been changed that the photographers in the Adelaide CBD get listed first regardless of their reviews, content etc. It just doesn't make sense that it's listed this way now.

Hope this can get sorted somehow.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh and as Tim mentioned above it seems that Google has changed things so that it ranks businesses now specifically for the search. Again in my instance 'Adelaide wedding Photography' used to show photographers across the whole 'Adelaide' area including it's suburbs. This really is as far as I'm concerned should be the way it should be and is what people searching would expect I would think. Now all it shows at the top when searching 'Adelaide wedding photography' are the photographers in the immediate CBD regardless of how crappy their listing is.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the note, Paul. I actually did read your post as well and noticed the similarities in our problems. Apparently, in the month of December, 2015, there were changes made within Googles Pigeon algorithm again which have caused some major shifts for businesses on Google Places. That being said, I'm realizing it's nothing that I or you did wrong. It's more like an adjustment we're going to have to live with and hopefully be able to adapt to in efforts to get us back on the board. In the next few days, I'll be making strategic white-hat changes to my business listing, taking note of any positive or negative changes in placement. I'll start with increasing/decreasing my service area radius. If that doesn't produce results, I'll change to a short list of service area cities. And, as a last result, I'll buy into a virtual office that provides me with a legitimate address within my major service city so that it can be verified and, in theory, put me right in the middle of my service area. I'll post my results as they occur so that others who might be dealing with the same issue can find a little peace of mind on what they might have to do to maintain their presence as well. Thanks again for the post. I'm an optimistic that with a little bit of tweaking, we'll get things figured out. Cheers!