My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Moving to New Location. Keep phone number?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

My company ranked very well on Google, we always appear #1 in 3-pack.
Sadly we have to move to new location and it's definitely going to affect our ranking. I have an option either to keep the same phone number or get the new one. I'm sure it's gonna be tons on duplicate/inconsistent listings after we move.

Do you think if I leave the same phone number it can create inconsistency in the citation (same business - different address)? How is it compared to listing with new phone number ( I meant if Google can see it as different business)?

I'm just trying to find the better way to reduce the damage and keep good ranking. I would be really happy to hear any opinion or advise. Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Moving to New Location. Keep phone number?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@Elena L

Sadly we have to move to new location and it's definitely going to affect our ranking. I have an option either to keep the same phone number or get the new one. I'm sure it's gonna be tons on duplicate/inconsistent listings after we move.

I'm sure that a lot of the experts here will have great insight for you. One thing I would do personally is make sure that I have taken the time to "claim" all of the directories for my business. You can get a lot of them either through the Yext tool, or by using Moz Local (I'm not sure of the ability of these tools outside of the United States). 

Another great way to get listings that should work in any country is by performing this search in Google:

"Your business name -site:www.yourbusinessurl (dot) com"

Type in everything inbetween the quotes. What you are doing is searching for every online property that has the name of your business. The "-site:www.yourbusinessurl (dot) com" will prevent results from your website from showing. Search through the results for directories and make sure you have access to edit each one.

Manually claiming listings is a lot of work. If you want to minimize damage it is the best approach.

Do you think if I leave the same phone number it can create inconsistency in the citation (same business - different address)?

Keep the same phone number. Claim all of your listings through the methods above. After you move, change all of the addresses on the listings at the same time. Edit any other information that needs to be updated in the directory as well. You want all of your listings 100% the same.

Side note- your verified Google My Business account is likely the most important online property to change.

How is it compared to listing with new phone number ( I meant if Google can see it as different business)?

Google will not see it as a separate business. The search engine will likely be able to identify your business by name and the URL to your website. If you create a new listing with a new phone number, it will almost certainly be viewed as a duplicate for the reason stated prior.

One really important caveat— don't forget any listings. Get as many as you can. It will be a lot of work, but if keeping your rank is important this will certainly help.

Good luck!