AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Map marker showing at old address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business is Wordwallah and my previous business address is 28 Bilga Av Bilgola NSW 2107 Australia. I have since moved and have updated the address but the map marker is still showing at my old address. When you click on it, it shows my new address, but the marker is still on the old one. I've tried clicking 'suggest an edit' which allows me to move the marker, but after I've done that, it goes back to the old address. How do I move it to the new address?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Map marker showing at old address

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

HI @Mike H

I found this listing on Maps for your business: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Wordwallah/@-25.6415577,114.6337203,4z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s...

Is this the correct listing? If so, then please before we go any further, can you reduce your service area listing from the whole of Australia to the area about 40 km around you? Setting such a large service area doesn't help you in the rankings at all, but it does make it hard to do any trouble shooting.

Thank you.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK Done. Thanks Mike Holland Wordwallah Suite 14, 105 Crown St Darlinghurst NSW 2010 tel: 0414 394 440 wordwallah.com

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks for that @Mike H.

So just to confirm, when you search for your business you see a result like this one: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Wordwallah/@-33.8736222,150.655255,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0...

and it appears that the map marker is in the wrong place?I feel like I'm missing something, as I'm wondering how that makes a difference since you're a service area business, and so people won't be looking for directions to your place of business?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Priya
You're right - people won't be looking for directions to my business, but if anyone zooms in on Bilga Av Bilgola it will appear, and could cause confusion.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

HI @Mike H

is the map marker still showing up at 28 Bilga Av Bilgola? I've zoomed right into this address via Maps and am not seeing anything there at all.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's odd. I can see it on my computer and my son can see it on his. But a friend of mine can't see it on his unless he types in 'Wordwallah Crown St Darlinghurst' then the marker shows at Bilgola. Strange.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Mike H

This is a wonderful mystery! I tried putting in Wordwallah Crown St Darlinghurst and still couldn't see any out of place map markers :)

For you and your son I'd recommend clearing the cache before searching again - that might be causing you to see that old map marker. 

Re your friend's result are you able to provide a screenshot?