AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Malicious negative reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have recently been receiving a small number of I believe malicious reviews. It started when someone working for a google partner attended our business to offer their services, was rude, was met with similar and who then wrote a negative and very personal review of our shop pretending to be a customer.

I contacted google and the google partner in question, the review was removed and in the end the guy lost his job.

Not long after that I got a phone call from a very disturbed sounding individual and occasionally I get a review, from a zero other review account, with an obviously made up name making spurious allegations of rodent infestation. I did not flag the review as inappropriate. My only reaction to that particular review was to ask for more details, time, place in the store etc, which remained unanswered until the review was taken down either by the original poster or by google, I don't know.

Yesterday I received another negative and likely spurious review, which alludes to the very first incident, which seems a very unlikely piece of knowledge for the latest reviewer to be aware of unless they were involved in the incident itself or are an avid viewer of our business page. I have responded to this review as if it were genuine, although I believe it isn't.

What I was wondering was is this the best course of action for me to take? I obviously cannot prove this is the same person as the reviews come from different accounts but the writing style and obsessions are consistent with each other across all 3 reviews, the 3rd review makes reference to the first incident and so on.

Thanks for any help

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Malicious negative reviews

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Andy C

So you can either flag and report or contact business support.

If you provide a link to the review in question, I can ask the team to take a look.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/111893969294299083778/reviews/@51.514394,-0.0756093,14z/data=!3m...

the review relating to "the circle store"

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Translate+Cafe+Bar/@51.5275717,-0.0800551,17z/data=!4m13!1m5!8m4!1...

this is the only other place "maria" has reviewed, the place has also been extensively panned by "gurvinder singh" which is an AKA of the guy who wrote the original duplicitous review of my business that got removed and ended up with the reviewer losing his job with a google partner

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The reviewer has since edited his review to indicate that he is in fact not named Maria Gonzales and is intentionally leaving a fake review to lower our score

https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Circle+Store/@51.5012229,-0.0755409,17z/data=!4m7!3m6!1s0x4876...

I have flagged the review.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Will ask the team to check

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nice one @Tim Capper

thank you

Re: Malicious negative reviews

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Andy C

The team is looking at this and should be removed in a couple of days

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Tim Capper

Excellent, thank you for your help