My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Main Picture for my business keeps changing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have had a Google my business and google plus page for years. We have lots of Pics as well as our cover and identity or profile pic. It used to show up correctly when you searched for my business. However now a unrelated pic that does not really show my business shows up as the main pic when the business is searched. It seams it is a pic from a blog article from some years back. How do I keep random pics from showing up as the pic that represents my business? 

Any help would be great, thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Main Picture for my business keeps changing.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
1)Be sure that all photos that you upload are "good photos" as Google might pick any one
2)Don't try to use a logo or graphic as the algo will reject it
3)If inappropriate scraped or user photos appear file a report
4)if the report is not handled within 2 weeks call support

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! Will they pick any one out of all the photo upload category or a specific category I.E. Interior or Exterior in Google my business? They are all pics, no graphic or Logos. The Pic that is showing up is from a blog article on another website, it is of the "Snack Shack" another business located on the Blitz Property. I reported it, but isn't there a way to keep photos from other sites replacing the pic that google shows?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Generally they will pick the profile photo that you chose but not always. It often becomes a gamble.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having a similar issue. I have sent in numerous reports about the identity photo of a business I'm working to no avail. The picture was put up by a customer on a rainy day when the business was closed and the trash was being taken out, and when you google my business its the first thing you see. The exterior has since been given an external makeover and I have changed the identity photo several times for simple photos of the business facade, and the google result changes, but after a few days it always reverts back to the poor quality image. Completely at a loss as to how to proceed, it really does have an impact on business.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
What type of business are you in?

Do you have multiple interior and exterior photos that are good in your account?

What is your business name and Google URL?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike. I rechanged the identity photo on friday and currently it's sticking with what I want on search results, but this has happened many times now, I won't be surprised to see it switch back.

The business is a restaurant called 'Boqueria'

https://plus.google.com/+BoqueriaIe

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Philip B 

Google has a long history of algorithmically picking the photo that they want not what you tell them. See this article for example: http://blumenthals.com/blog/2016/05/14/google-to-hotels-we-pick-your-profile-photo/

Generally speaking in the restaurant business they have, over time, highlighted one of three sorts of images as a profile photo:

Outside

Inside

Food

If they decide that, perhaps after testing, a restaurant should show a certain type of image they will try to show that EVEN if it means ignoring your choice and going with user generated content.

Until very recently Google was focusing on food shots for restaurants. They then "decided" to go with interior or exterior shots. My gut sense is that they go with interior first and if none found they will go with exterior. 

They have never liked logos.

So you can either tilt into the wind and fight them or you can be like the blade of grass and be flexible. 

I would load serval images in each category noted above that you would be proud of. Pick the one that you want the most. If they change it to a different category, then go and pick the one in that category that you prefer.

If user photos are inappropriate report them or better contact support and have them removed. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Philip B 

Google has a long history of algorithmically picking the photo that they want not what you tell them. See this article for example: http://blumenthals.com/blog/2016/05/14/google-to-hotels-we-pick-your-profile-photo/

Generally speaking in the restaurant business they have, over time, highlighted one of three sorts of images as a profile photo:

Outside

Inside

Food

If they decide that, perhaps after testing, a restaurant should show a certain type of image they will try to show that EVEN if it means ignoring your choice and going with user generated content.

Until very recently Google was focusing on food shots for restaurants. They then "decided" to go with interior or exterior shots. My gut sense is that they go with interior first and if none found they will go with exterior. 

They have never liked logos.

So you can either tilt into the wind and fight them or you can be like the blade of grass and be flexible. 

I would load serval images in each category noted above that you would be proud of. Pick the one that you want the most. If they change it to a different category, then go and pick the one in that category that you prefer.

If user photos are inappropriate report them or better contact support and have them removed. 

In looking at your photos, you are "shy" on interior shots. I would beef those up. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's really helpful Mike, much appreciated. I'll make those adjustments and see how I get on! Thanks again.