Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Local Business Ranking Issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I called twice, have spoken with trusted SEO's and read a good deal here in support. I have done my homework, yet am still needing info. Any help is much appreciated.

1. Meow Wolf

2.1352 Rufina Cir, Santa Fe, NM 87507

3. (505) 395-6369

4. https://goo.gl/maps/Wi7WxhjYn8y

5. https://meowwolf.com/

Who:

Meow Wolf is an art collective in Santa Fe, NM who received funding from George RR Martin to build a full scale Victorian home indoors with worm holes to different dimensions... This place is around 20,000 sq feet of awesomeness. Thus it is very relevant, and very social. Meow Wolf has spurred a lot of media attention, reviews on Google (488), Facebook and other.

What:

- I was shocked to see our GMB rating almost non existent for a Google search like "fun things to do in santa fe".

- I called GMB support and they gave me some ideas like:

*Respond to all reviews (we had 200 reviews that didn't have a reply), which we did

* Add photos (we had lots of photos, but none posted by us recently), which we did

* The GMB rep told me not to change basic info like title, address as that would incur penalty for a period of time... (We did not do that)

After these implements we went form 42nd on the "Things to do in Santa Fe" search to being removed completely. It seems like we have been flagged by Google for something? This is what I am trying to figure out...

Significant points:

- Distance. It is worthy to note that we are not located in downtown Santa Fe on the plaza, but we are in city limits. It seems this is the biggest factor, but I cannot think that Google would abandon this because of that?

* However even when I search fun things to do near cerrillos in santa fe, we still come up 4th or 5th.

- We have 488 reviews, why is an entity with 4 reviews more relevant?

- I saw in GMB support that we should not have more than two catagories. Recently it was suggested that we add a couple we now have four. Tourist Attraction, Music Venue, Arts center art organization. None of these are on our home page title tag but they are all true.

- The address in the header portion of our site just says 1352 Rufina Cir.. Leaves out city, state, zip

* Will correct but this cant be the problem can it?

Questions:

- Why do we not show up for Google searches relevant to our business?

- Why does our introduction not show up? There is no description, only title in GMB search results.

- How can I create a clean link to or GMB listing to link to form my site?

- Prominence, distance and relevance are the top 3 factors Google has said they base ratings of GMB listing on... (document that the first rep sent)

* It could be argued that we have more relevance and prominence at this time than any other business listing in Santa Fe, yet we don't show up in a competitive Google search. References for this comment is: media attention by top sites like NY Times, LA Times etc..., FB page numbers, traffic to site, Google and FB reviews

Thank you in advance,

Eric

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric C
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I am not sure how TA calculates its top things to do in Santa Fe https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60958-Activities-Santa_Fe_New_Mexico.html but you are not seen there in the top and that is the list you should work to crack.

As to whether you are being penalized I would put that back at you... have you done anything that violates their guidelines with links or other efforts to game the search results? Has your address or phone or web url changed?

As to the Google's rep suggestions; total horse manure. These folks are contractors with nothing better to do than make stuff up and are reknown for their mis-guidance. 

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Questions:

- Why do we not show up for Google searches relevant to our business?

Google looks across the web for signals to understand which entities belong in searches like fun things to do in santa fe

In this particular case they are probably look at the top 3 or 4 organic results (although maybe as deep as the top 10 or 20) that show below the knowledge panel. With my money on TripAdvisor although it could be all of them as there are a number of trusted sites. Each of those sites will have different criteria for ranking on them ie TA is reviews on TA etc.

But the more you can get listed on the better.

Wikipedia is another highly trusted source for this sort of information. You have to be careful creating a wikipedia article and it might be worth hiring someone that has a lot of experience but your story is such that you are probably eligible for a Wikipedia page and it would add considerable strength to your listing. 

- Why does our introduction not show up? There is no description, only title in GMB search results.

The Google Knowledge Panel (KP) extracts data from Google's local data base that, through testing, they have determined what of that information users want. Description (maybe due to spamming) disappeared from the KP long ago.

That being said you can maximize what does show by having great photos, possibly doing an interior 360 view of your facility and adding events to your site using rich snippets. 

- How can I create a clean link to or GMB listing to link to form my site?

There is no GMB listing per se. There is your listing in the Knowledge Panel in search and in Maps. Reliable links to those are available in the "Published On" section of the Info page in your GMB. 

If you are looking for a URL for your users to leave review then here is an article that will help::http://blumenthals.com/blog/2016/07/09/new-google-help-page-to-create-a-link-for-customers-to-write-...

- Prominence, distance and relevance are the top 3 factors Google has said they base ratings of GMB listing on... (document that the first rep sent)

* It could be argued that we have more relevance and prominence at this time than any other business listing in Santa Fe, yet we don't show up in a competitive Google search.

Prominence & Relevance are calculated algorithmically and that is different than how a human calculates it.

Relevance can come from your website, your business name, categories at google and around the web, articles around the web at the NY Times etc, reviews, in bound links, content at trusted sites like TA and Wikipedia, content at G+ etc etc etc. 

Prominence comes from doing well on these other sites and gaining prominence at each of them by their own rules. For example at TA getting a lot of reviews and perhaps ones that mention "fun things to do". At other sites it could be getting on Top 10 Critic lists. At G+ it would be getting your content shared a lot. At your website it is getting lots of relevant and meaningful links to your website. 

If Google trusts the source than that prominence achieved at those pages is essentially transferred to the entity that is your listing in their local database. 

If I were you I would

-beef up the content on my website (using schema and events etc and more content.

-do out reach to local websites to get links and content

-continue getting high profile articles around the US

-develop a review plan everywhere but particularly at TripAdvisor 

-consider a well planned and exexcuted Google + plan that creates lots of engaged followers

-strategize how to get on the lists of those many sites for attractions/fun things to do in Santa Fe.

Obviously the fact that you don't rank doesn't mean you aren't prominent by your definition, it just means you are not prominent by Google's definition. It could be argued that its a failing of the algo but it is what it is. While Google is striving to achieve near human understanding of real world facts and realities that is a ways off. Although better than it used to be. (A topic for another very long post :) ). 

There is another element to this and that is time. You are a young and new organization, relatively speaking & compared to other institutions in your market. You are up against attractions that have both a long history and wide exposure. It will take time for Google to completely trust your content and for your organization to build up the digital credentials that Google needs to see. You can speed it up by doing some or all of the above but the best approach is a consistent long term plan to improve your visibility on important sites across the internet as noted above. 

I would be glad to answer specific questions. 

PS I have visited Meow Wolf with my son who lives in Santa Fe and saw Shakespeare there this summer. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Mike, thank you!

It feels very good to get your message and it is great that you have experienced the exhibit!

I understand all of what you are saying and thank you. One thing which keeps me wanting more information is this:

There are 50 "Top Sights" that Google mentions in the more santa fe sights for a google search like "Fun things to do in Santa Fe". We are on wikipedia, we have 736 reviews on TA with a 4.5 star average. It just seems weird that we don't even show up. Do you think we have been penalized for something?

Also, is there any way to tell why after implementing the suggestions of the Google rep (responding to reviews, doing a bit of G+, adding photos, changing header and profile pic) why we have been removed from the top 50 (we used to be #42)?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric C
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I am not sure how TA calculates its top things to do in Santa Fe https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60958-Activities-Santa_Fe_New_Mexico.html but you are not seen there in the top and that is the list you should work to crack.

As to whether you are being penalized I would put that back at you... have you done anything that violates their guidelines with links or other efforts to game the search results? Has your address or phone or web url changed?

As to the Google's rep suggestions; total horse manure. These folks are contractors with nothing better to do than make stuff up and are reknown for their mis-guidance. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Mike.

We have done nothing unnatural. I will just keep good track of your advice and look forward in a positive way.

Warm Wishes