AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Knowledge graph showing is not what it is suppose to look like

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I asked my question in the wrong forum (webmaster forum) few min ago. And I was being told to ask it here instead. So here it goes.

First of all I would like to point out, I am new to all this "structured data" coding. I have added the schema type "Organization", to all the pages of my website. Including PostalAddress, contactPoint, and 3 sameAs (for social profiles). The data tester returned no errors. Got verified with Google MyBusiness few yrs back already. Verified with Google webmaster for domain name as well.. added both variant of www and non www urls also.

The knowledge graph showing under google search is not what it is suppose to look like. I read somewhere, that the Google MyBusiness is authority with the logo and images (and other info as well), and it's set to show the G+ profile picture in the knowledge graph. But it's showing one of the "additional images" that I had added on my G+. Talked to Google staff on phone regarding this and they got confused as well and I was told that it's random and they cannot help me any further and I gotta live with it. Even if I delete all the "additional images", it's showing the "cover image" of my G+ LOL.. which is really weird and gets annoying after a while. So when I delete the "cover image" of my G+ page, it automatically adds a tricolor cover image, and that shows as the logo of my company on google search.. hahaha.

The social profile links are not showing, nor the rest of the information that I had already added on the ld+json script on every page of my website (before the <head> section of the html).

Did some online searches on this (on google ofcourse). Read it from few places, that it's good to have a wikipedia page, as google takes info from the wiki pages itself. So I went to wiki chat and as I suspected, adding a wiki page just for the sake of adding more info on the knowledge graph on google is strictly not allowed. Their exact words were - "advertising website is not allowed on wiki". So that idea didn't work either.

I know I might be doing something wrong, else google would had taken all those info from the pages when it's crawl the pages, which seems to be occurring once a week. Or there might be some error with google itself, which is highly doubtful. So thought I ask for some help in the forum instead.

Looking for something like the "Google" search knowledge graph, instead of what's showing in search for my website. Images are attached (Hope not breaking any forum rules, not my intention).

Any assistance is much appreciated regarding this. Thank you.

GoogleWebsite

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Knowledge graph showing is not what it is suppose to look like

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Rooftop U I don't quite understand your topic line "Knowledge graph showing is not what it is suppose to look like

Therefore and at first  let me enlighten  you somethings about the two screenshots provided by you.

That are kind of apples and plums - not to compare.

The first one is a knowledge graph based on wikipedia or other third party sources whil the second one is a very typical knowledge graph for a local bsuiness of GoogleMyBusiness.

So you are not supposed for your roofing company to get any other knowledge graph as you got it. 

It's simply what you are supposed to get as a normal GMB business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@ Helmut Geissler,

I understand what you said. So local business is not suppose to show social profile links on the knowledge graph at all then? So my business listing is correct?

Also, my business got 2 office locations in 2 different cities in different states. So it's not limited to local business in one city only . Should I go ahead and add another location in MyBusiness and then things might be different? Do I need to create another g+ page for my 2nd location as well?

One more thing, the address is only showing the city and state, not the full address. Is it suppose to show like that? Cause in the Google MyBusiness, there are 2 lines of street address, then one each for city, pincode and state.

Oh btw, can you assist me with the image issue?
The images showing on the knowledge graph box is connected to my g+ page and mybusiness page. It's set as "select the photo you recommend to show first on google maps and search - Profile". Yet somehow the 1st image is showing randomly (changing daily) from the "additional photos" folder. If I delete all the pics from "additional photos" folder, the main pic on knowledge graph box is set to my g+ page cover pic. I want to set it as my g+ profile pic or logo. Both logo and profile pic are added to google mybusiness under "photos". Yet it's not taking it from there.

And also, regarding the ld+json schema script tags on each html pages, can u shed some light on that?

Excuse me for asking so much of you. Thank you for your time and assistance :)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I understand what you said. So local business is not suppose to show social profile links on the knowledge graph at all then? So my business listing is correct?

Yes it's correct IMHO

Also, my business got 2 office locations in 2 different cities in different states. So it's not limited to local business in one city only . Should I go ahead and add another location in MyBusiness and then things might be different? Do I need to create another g+ page for my 2nd location as well?

yes you can have for each location a business listing on GoogleMyBusiness

One more thing, the address is only showing the city and state, not the full address. Is it suppose to show like that?

This is always the case if specifying a service area AND unchecking in your dashboard "Im also serve customers at my business address" - as you as a roofer likely unchecked ;-)

Oh btw, can you assist me with the image issue?

likely not  much 

The images showing on the knowledge graph box is connected to my g+ page and mybusiness page. It's set as "select the photo you recommend to show first on google maps and search - Profile". Yet somehow the 1st image is showing randomly (changing daily) from the "additional photos" folder. If I delete all the pics from "additional photos" folder, the main pic on knowledge graph box is set to my g+ page cover pic. I want to set it as my g+ profile pic or logo. Both logo and profile pic are added to google mybusiness under "photos". Yet it's not taking it from there.

I read often that people complain not getting the photo shown up despite of  having  "selected the photo you recommend to show first on google maps and search - Profile"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@ Helmut Geissler,

Thanks for replying to me, on such short notice. As it turns out, seems Google is still a "under development" company. Not everything works as it should. But most of it works and sometimes works too good LOL.

So I have decided that I will stop my quest for google knowledge as of now. Seems my website and business is all set, as it should. Rest is up to those capable hands of automated google algorithms.

Thanks for your assistance. Take care :)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
you're welcome