5.5K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Knowledge Graph Name Display Bug

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

One of my clients, The Redbury New York hotel is having a weird issue with their Knowledge Graph. Google is displaying the hotel's old name, Martha Washington Hotel, on the Knowledge Graph. When I click the 'Feedback' button, I am unable to submit an edit to change to the correct name, as it seems Google thinks it is displaying the correct name already, as seen below.

We own the GMB listing, and all information there is correctly submitted. I recall Barry Schwartz posting about this bug a few weeks back, but haven't seen any resolution. Do we know if this is on Google's radar to be fixed?

redbury martha washington.png

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aaron H
August 2016

Re: Knowledge Graph Name Display Bug

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Aaron,

Thinking out loud...I've seen Google display three types of Knowledge Graph cards, one card for local businesses (data typically extracted from the local listing), one card for well-known entities (often referred to as the branded KG card (data typically extracted from sources like Wikipedia) and one card that's displayed for an entity that is local business but is also considered a well-known entity (I refer to it as a blended card because the data displayed is typically extracted from the local listing but also sources like Wikipedia), for example, see the KG card I've seen for Harrods in screenshot below. Info like description, CEO, founder etc. is extracted from the Wiki page. 

Which makes me wonder whether or not it might be helpful to have the name updated at Wikipedia (and any other third-party sites). (Just noticed...the official website URL added to the Wiki page is different than the primary domain link added to the local listing - which website is the official website?)

Joy mentioned the reference to Martha Washington in the Marta restaurant listing address line (which has been addressed) but the reference in the description hasn't been - "Located at the Martha Washington hotel in the growing neighborhood north of Madison Square Park". It's been changed on-site. Also note, you may also want to consider updating site image filenames, alt tags etc.)

Keep in mind, Google collects information about a business across the web therefore it's important that your business is represented consistently the same (NAP, category, website address).

Btw, also noticed there's an unverified listing for Redbury NYC and an unverified listing for Martha Washington - if you have access to these pages, I recommend deleting them if you can.

(Just in case you've added structured data - if there are two sites for the hotel, marking up links to the other site in the sameAs markup might help Google to make the connection.)

Grace

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey Aaron,

I don't think it's a bug but there are some features on the backend that impact the way things look on Search that you wouldn't have access to edit (only Googler's do). I believe this might have to do with a connection on the backend that connects different places (see point #2 on this article for an example: http://searchengineland.com/cannot-ignore-practitioner-listings-gmb-case-study-253314)

I'll ask Google if that's the case here and let you know.

Also, another thing that could be doing it is this listing: https://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=39&fid=0x89c259a7c22f9995:0x5306531437c14361

It lists Martha Washington Hotel as part of the address. Does this bar still exist? If so why does it link to http://www.chelseahotels.com/?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm having a similar issue, but with business category. I've updated a business from university to law school, and while Google has accepted the change, the new category is not showing up. HOWEVER, if I go to edit the category, it says the new category.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Julie,

Please start your own thread and be sure to list the name, address, phone # and link to the listing you're referring to and someone can try and help you.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Will do! Thanks!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, Joy! Veronica's (that bar you found) is the old name - it is now called Marta, and Marta has an accurate listing with Google. I've reported Veronica's as closed on MapMaker
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aaron H
August 2016

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Aaron,

Thinking out loud...I've seen Google display three types of Knowledge Graph cards, one card for local businesses (data typically extracted from the local listing), one card for well-known entities (often referred to as the branded KG card (data typically extracted from sources like Wikipedia) and one card that's displayed for an entity that is local business but is also considered a well-known entity (I refer to it as a blended card because the data displayed is typically extracted from the local listing but also sources like Wikipedia), for example, see the KG card I've seen for Harrods in screenshot below. Info like description, CEO, founder etc. is extracted from the Wiki page. 

Which makes me wonder whether or not it might be helpful to have the name updated at Wikipedia (and any other third-party sites). (Just noticed...the official website URL added to the Wiki page is different than the primary domain link added to the local listing - which website is the official website?)

Joy mentioned the reference to Martha Washington in the Marta restaurant listing address line (which has been addressed) but the reference in the description hasn't been - "Located at the Martha Washington hotel in the growing neighborhood north of Madison Square Park". It's been changed on-site. Also note, you may also want to consider updating site image filenames, alt tags etc.)

Keep in mind, Google collects information about a business across the web therefore it's important that your business is represented consistently the same (NAP, category, website address).

Btw, also noticed there's an unverified listing for Redbury NYC and an unverified listing for Martha Washington - if you have access to these pages, I recommend deleting them if you can.

(Just in case you've added structured data - if there are two sites for the hotel, marking up links to the other site in the sameAs markup might help Google to make the connection.)

Grace

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm having issues inserting the image Aaron - hopefully you can see the same KG card that I can when performing search for Harrods.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Grace

as a hint about screenshots or any imagery here please see the below

How to add screen captures or similar to posts: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-Business-Owners/How-to-add-screen-captures-or-s...
(or upload them to a public picture site - linking them to here)

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Aaron,

I went ahead and approved your edit to have it marked closed. I saw you submitted 2 edits right after to change the address. I'd suggest you undo them both as they won't get approved. The hotel name shouldn't be on the suite # line period so I went ahead and deleted it. You were editing the listing to change the hotel name but since it shouldn't be there, I would suggest you undo your edits to avoid getting them denied.

Owner of Sterling Sky