My Business
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Is it mandatory to have a Google + account to write a my business review?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've read numerous posts/articles which stipulate that you must have a Google Plus account to Write a review so I decided to test the theory. 

1) I signed out of my G+ account.

2) Visited gmail.com and created a new gmail account - signed out of that account, cleared cache to be sure.

3) I did a google search to bring up my local business listing and selected my business.

4) Clicked on Write a review and it popped up the "Sign in with your Google Accoutn to write a review" screen.

5) I signed in under the test account.

6) It dropped me in the "Rate & review" screen for my business with stars and "Describe your experience" textarea.

7) Here I aborted because I didn't want to create a disturbance

To be sure the test account was not G+, I visited google.com, clicked on the 9-dot apps menu top right and Google + (icon).  It took me to a "Join Google+ by creating your public profile" page where I needed to enter some data to Upgrade to G+.

This seems to contradict the articles I've browsed. Am I missing something?

Depending on the answer, if you can now Write a review with only a gmail account in hand, will that review carry the same/less weight than a G+ account review if both were created at the same time? 

Also, in this case being a brand new account, will that and the fact that there is no review history also devalue the review?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bob M
March 2016

Re: Is it mandatory to have a Google + account to write a my business review?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Bob M

It was changed maybe last year, can't quite remember.

You just need to sign in with any Google account to leave a review.

I would say that an account that has activity on it and in good standing will carry more weight then a brand new account.

Note, i say an account rather then a Google+ account specifically. 

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership