My Business
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

How does a busines that don't even have a web site rank above my business that does?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When mimicking a search for our own law firm, I noticed that we're not even listed above other businesses that don't even have a web site at all. How is this possible? Number one, it goes against anything I've learned as a web master spending countless hours strategizing our SEO and organic marketing for the firm (I have AMP pages, localized long-tail keywords, social media pages, two YouTube channels, etc...). Secondly, we have several Google reviews as opposed to other businesses for the area, yet one would still need to scroll down the map sidebar, or zoom in, just to see our firm. Can anybody explain to me what I'm (apparently) missing here? Or if you're an expert, can you point me in the right direction of who I might be able to contact with to get this resolved. I don't think this is fair play here in terms of Google's robust algorithms "SEO strategy" we're all held accountable to in this new online era of survival of the fittest. Otherwise, the way I see is as if our firm might as well not even have a website in this scenario.

Here's a screenshot of an example I'm referring to. You can see Guerra Days Law Group is listed underneath a business that doesn't have a website: https://drive.google.com/a/rickguerra.com/file/d/0By0KVloIhbC0a0NPdEY3bXdrQkU/view?usp=sharing

You can conduct my research yourself if you search for: "San Antonio Real Estate Attorney" and see where we appear from your location.

Thanks in advance for your time as I truly appreciate any feedback here. :)

Guerra Days Law Group - San Antonio

2929 Mossrock #111,

San Antonio Texas, 78230

210-446-0102

https://plus.google.com/b/106905806501321976888/

https://www.guerradays.com/real-estate-attorney-houston/

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How does a busines that don't even have a web site rank above my business that does?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
There are lots ranking factors and none of them are exclsive dedicated to make ranking better compared to other businesses.

Re: How does a busines that don't even have a web site rank above my business that does?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

True - I understand that but that's a canned response.

The question is how does a business that doesn't even have a domain rank
above a business that does?

I know there's over 300 ranking signals and that it's all algorithm based,
but how then does a business that's done everything correctly get ranked
above one that doesn't even have a domain on the internet so to speak. Can
you answer that specifically?

--
Chad B

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. This is done in order to protect account security and/or privacy. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies. Thank you for your understanding.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chad B
August 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Chad,

I couldn't see the screenshot you posted, are you referring to the real estate attorney that is also a real estate agent?

Perhaps strong local citations (and/or quantity of citations), lots of third-party reviews (domain authority for third-party review sites). The attorney/agent appears to have a strong presence online - the attorney profession is referenced often on pages related to the real estate profession - perhaps this is somehow playing a role as well (the user appears to have a few sites/businesses).

Some info to share, for each listing you're adding a descriptor, for example, Houston Real Estate Attorney, according to Google's guidelines, "Your name should reflect your business’ real-world name, as used consistently on your storefront, website, stationery, and as known to customers." See screenshot below - I recommend removing those descriptors. Also note, further down Google mentions, "All locations must have the same name unless the business’s real world representation consistently varies from location to location. All locations must also have the same category if they provide the same service." One of the three listings doesn't share the same category. (Adding a good description to each listing could be helpful as well, you could add the descriptor there instead of in the name field.)

1.png

Also, for two of the listings, you're linking to the http version of the site, which redirects to https - you should update these links but if you create the location pages it would be better to link to the https version of the location page. (Are opening hours the same for all locations? One of the listings has a different opening time.)

For businesses with multiple locations Google recommends creating location pages (a dedicated page for each location - instead of a location page with all locations, on the contact us page you could display the address and contact details for all locations). Good location pages typically contain the address of the location, contact details (phone, email, fax), map etc.. Opening hours. A good description and any other details that might apply to that location. Google suggests linking from the local listing to the corresponding location page. (Linking back to the listing from the location page is also a good idea. I also recommend linking to any other location-specific pages, for example, for the San Antonio location you could link to the corresponding Facebook page.) Having a location page would allow you to optimize specifically for example for, San Antonio Real Estate Attorney.  

In addition to creating location pages, Google recommends adding structured data. When adding structured data you can use the unique URL (location page) as the global identifier for each location - @id for JSON-LD format and itemid if using the microdata format.

Btw, I performed the search several times, and more often than not, your firm appeared before the other in results, see below (that is of course if I'm referring to the correct listing).

2.png

I hope the info is somewhat helpful.

Grace

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Grace,

Thank you so much for your thorough analysis of my question and responding with the vast amount of information I need to double-check. The value added to my progress within your response is priceless to me, so again thank you. I've looked at some of these recommendations that Google mentions in their setup guides, but you shed some light on some topics I need to revisit.

As for your question: "I couldn't see the screenshot you posted, are you referring to the real estate attorney that is also a real estate agent?" I'm having trouble replicating my search from that day as it appears we're naturally yet slowly climbing Google's algorithms towards the top of organic search results for San Antonio., which is good news, however, the issue basically was that there were other people listed above us that didn't have a website at all, and were in the same "category" as us. It looks like you helped me think of other reasons why that would be happening so we're good there.

As for the business names, I will remove the descriptors at the end of the names to see if that makes a difference in our lead generating activity.

So I have a couple questions surrounding this piece you wrote: "Google suggests linking from the local listing to the corresponding location page. (Linking back to the listing from the location page is also a good idea. I also recommend linking to any other location-specific pages, for example, for the San Antonio location you could link to the corresponding Facebook page.) Having a location page would allow you to optimize specifically for example for, San Antonio Real Estate Attorney. "

Are you suggesting that I need to create separate web-pages for each location "San Antonio Real Estate Attorney" and linking that to it's relative Google+ Business Page? And from there your thinking is to post the Google+ Business page link onto our Facebook page, etc...? I think I need some clarification here to better understand your recommendation, if possible. :)

Also, you mentioned adding structured data, and I do have structured data within the website, but how do I know if it's setup correctly to what you're referring to? Does this fall into place where you recommend I create separate location pages for each city/county? Where you mentioned: "In addition to creating location pages, Google recommends adding structured data. When adding structured data you can use the unique URL (location page) as the global identifier for each location - @id for JSON-LD format and itemid if using the microdata format."

Thank you in advance for your time! I very much appreciate any further insights you can share. :)

-Chad B.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Chad,

I found the old support doc at the wayback machine that provides some detail about location pages, hopefully my recommendations will make sense after you review it but please let me know if you need clarification after reviewing - I passed along a lot of info probably a lot more than you bargained for.

Grace

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Grace, thank you so much for your time on this. It wasn't more than I
bargained for it's perfect!

--
Chad Bradshaw
Digital Strategist
Guerra | Days - Law Group
210-867-5430 (direct)