6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

How do you optimize your Google My Business listing?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The visibility of your business listing depends on a few factors:

• Relevance: How relevant is your business category/listing to the search phrase used by the user?
  • Prominence: Traffic to your business listing. How established is the business online.
  • Distance: How close the business is located from where the search is being made.
  • Search history: The number of times it has been useful historically on the basis of relevance, prominence and distance.

Now since these four factors are governed by a dynamic system that decides the search results (and no one at Google has any influence over it), I would suggest you to follow the below mentioned best practices which should help your listing to appear on a better position.

1. Select the right category: Category plays an important role in ranking. Make sure you select the category that best describes your business. The right and specific category will help you in targeting the right audience. You can use more than 1 category to target the right audience. Here is an article sharing the steps and more information on Business Categories.

2. Share your business location and page with your customers: Share your location link and the business page with your customers. This will help them find your listing without any hassle. This will also help in improving the search history and prominence for your business. There are two ways to share the business location:

a. On your Google My Business dashboard (business.google.com) click on View Locations and use the link in the address bar.

b. Search for your business listing on Google Maps using business name and address > Click on the Share icon > Use the link you get to share with your customers.

3. Delighted customers are the best promoters: Ask your customers to share their experience. Reviews are a way of looking at a business through somebody else’s eye. This can help people in choosing your business over your competitor’s. You can check out more details here: Get Reviews on Google.

4. Share what’s new: People mostly follow the listings where business updates are regularly posted. Make the best of all the options available in post (Text, Photos, Videos, Links, Events and Polls). Learn about sharing updates in Google My Business.

5. Share Photos with your customers: You can upload photos related to your business on your Google listing. Steps: Go to business.google.com > Click on “Manage Locations” > Click on the Photos tab.

And additionally you can refer to this article for more ways to promote your business page.

Re: How do you optimize your Google My Business listing?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you fro sharing good tips, Rahul!

Can I ask you 2 questions?

1:
> Search history: In the past how many times has the listing been clicked on by users searching with the keyword.

Is this really used to determine visibility?
It's not on Google's official article (https://support.google.com/business/answer/7091?hl=en), and sounds unnatural since many Google search analysts mentioned that CTRs are not suitable for ranking factor as it can be easily manipulated. (i.e. Comment from Gary Illyes:
http://searchengineland.com/ama-google-search-live-blog-222206)

2:
>Prominence: Traffic to your business listing. How established is the business online.

According to what the official article tells, traffic is not mentioned as a factor to determine how prominent the business is.
Is it correct that traffic to your business listing - which can be easily manipulated - affects prominence?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much for listing this tips!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Rahul,

Could you elaborate on point 4, "Share what's new", please?

Is this purely for enhancing your presence and the user experience within Google+ itself, or are you suggesting that sharing updates in GMB can influence your presence across Google, primarily Maps and Search?

Thanks,