2.1K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

How do you change headline image in Maps Knowledge Graph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I produce Google Street View virtual tours for businesses. After publishing a tour the top/headline image in the business' Maps Knowledge Graph is replaced by the tour's storefront view. This is almost never a good idea. It often has to be shot too close to the business to be useful, the view is less than optimal, if inside an office building you may just see an office door, etc. Clients are getting testy about that.

Example: Pizza Shuttle

How does the business change this image to something more useful? It seems if you "Select the photo you recommend to show first on Google Maps and Search" (In the MyBusiness Manage Photos tab) it has no effect. What is the solution?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott W
September 2016

Re: How do you change headline image in Maps Knowledge Graph

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Scott W

As you have discovered, setting your images in GMB "Manage Photos" does not "set" your images.

Google rotates / displays images that they feel best suits the search query / user.

Sorry, but Google displays what they want to display

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott W
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Scott W

As you have discovered, setting your images in GMB "Manage Photos" does not "set" your images.

Google rotates / displays images that they feel best suits the search query / user.

Sorry, but Google displays what they want to display

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tim,

So.... nothing possible to change the headline image. At least I know. My way of dealing with this will be to break another Google guideline and shoot an additional spin from far enough out to get enough building face to be of reasonable use. Of course that could cause problems when connecting to "Street" Street View, but Google seems to be dropping that feature of late, anyway.

Strange how Google, in imposing an algorithm to provide the "most useful content" guarantees to deliver the worst. And no way to fix it. You have to wonder if the people who determine this actually use the product. Can't they see the problem?