5.5K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

How do I create an appropriate category

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run a yarn and fibre store, in Canada. The only category available to me is "Knit Shop".  I am NOT a knit shop. I don't sell knitwear nor is it a shop where folks sit around and knit, as the category suggests. I see other yarn stores in my area that have the category "Yarn Store".  How did they get that category?

This is very frustrating because when I google 'yarn store' in my area, my business doesn't show up.  Please, please add this category, otherwise my business will not be visible 

I have seen other posts expressing the same frustration. I requested the category to be added on AdWords Express, but I'm not sure that will help.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I create an appropriate category

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

That's strange that 'yarn store' isn't an option for you, I just checked one of the businesses I have management of, and yarn store is definitely an option that shows up for me. I also checked out some yarn stores in my city, and they're showing with that category too. Are you 100% sure you're going to the right place to add the categories? Just as a quick sanity check, you should go to https://www.google.com/business/. If you have more than one business you're a manager of, click 'manage location' for the business in question. Now you should see a screen with your business info up top, and a big red 'edit' button on the top right (and below should be your insights statistics). Click on 'edit', Scroll down to categories, and you're there. I've never heard of Google having categories that are unavailable in some geographic locations or to some businesses, so I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to select 'yarn store' for your business. 

If you're going there and still don't see the right option, I'd suggest posting a link to your business profile here so people can take a look, and/or calling Google support directly and see if they can point you towards whatever you might be missing. The Google contact info is here:
https://support.google.com/business/contactflow?hl=en

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi James! Thanks for your prompt reply! I've attached a Print Screen to show you what I get when I type the category 'Yarn Store'. It's definitely not on the list for selection. I see other stores in my area that have Yarn Store as a category, so I don't understand it. As you can imagine, this is going to directly effect my visibility if it's not resolved. I'll follow your suggestion and contact Google support directly. thanks again! Sue Phillips Chocolate River Yarns & Fibres

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I think that the picture attaching thing in the forum here doesn't work for some reason (the forum layout here is semi-new). If you'd like to share the image, you'll have to post it somewhere and post a link here. Either way, sorry I couldn't be more help! Good luck with support, and maybe something will jump out at somewhere here from your screenshot. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey @Sue P - I can see that Yarn Store doesn't appear to be a category in Canada in Google My Business (http://blumenthals.com/google-lbc-categories/search.php?q=&val=hl-gl%3Den-CA%28PfB%29%26ottype%3D1) but it is a category on MapMaker. If you want to give me the details for your business (website, name, phone #) I can go ahead and add it for you.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Beside of the nice offer @JoyHawkins gave @Sue P

I can inform that recently an other user posted in here Pharmacy category not found the same for an other category missing for Canada.

As I escalated this other  issue to our CM of the forum I will escalate the missing Canadian cat "Yarn Store" as well to @ElizabethP

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Joy! That would be great, Is it OK to give those details in this forum?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Sue P I can't see any reason why not :)

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok. I just didn't want to break any rules! http://www.chocolateriveryarnsandfibres.com/ Chocolate River Yarns & Fibres 118 Torwood Court, Riverview NB 506-386-6406 thanks again,, Joy!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hey @Sue P. I went to add the category for you but it looks like you got it added on Friday already.

Google Map Maker.png

Owner of Sterling Sky