My Business
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

How can one link to Google business local listing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

With recent changes to Google My Business, Google+, or whatever the business listings are called, I see that it seems there is no longer any actual business listing page for a specific business. The listing can appear on the sidebar during search, when searching Google Maps, etc and the info of the business displays in an overlay most of the time.

Is there a link for a business?

We have links for our listings like https://plus.google.com/+BUSINESSNAME/about

and this link still works but the target page now only shows very minimal information.

It just shows:

• company name
  • phone
  • address
  • website URL

There are no hours, no photos, no reviews, no way to write a new review... but those things show up in the overlays that appear at other places. How can I link to our business with that additional information? (for example someone asks to write a review, what do I give them?)

Thanks for any help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael K
January 2016

Re: How can one link to Google business local listing?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Michael K - I've been using the Google Maps URL. Go to Google Maps and do a search for company name + city and you'll get your listing.

The URL is kind of hideously long but if you click the share button you can shorten it.

Ex: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Imprezzio+Marketing/@43.774526,-79.3280327,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3... shortens down to https://goo.gl/maps/dvAi91JA9AK2 

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael K
January 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Michael K - I've been using the Google Maps URL. Go to Google Maps and do a search for company name + city and you'll get your listing.

The URL is kind of hideously long but if you click the share button you can shorten it.

Ex: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Imprezzio+Marketing/@43.774526,-79.3280327,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3... shortens down to https://goo.gl/maps/dvAi91JA9AK2 

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeahhh, I did try that Google Maps URL as well and yeah it's way too long, I'm sure the URL would get cut off especially with all that punctuation in there. I didn't even think about the share function. Great idea, I'll try that.

Do you know if that shortened URL changes, disappears, or can it be used reliably well into the future?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
As far as I know the shortened URLs don't change or expire. I haven't honestly tracked it long-term though so you might want to check every once in awhile.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
To kinda future proof the URL issue we've started sending people to a url we control, e.g. example.com/review-us-on-google/ and we 301 that url to whatever the current Google Business listing URL is. This way if things change down the road we don't need to update any of our properties linking to the review page, we only need to update the redirect.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great point. That actually did occur to me earlier today when thinking about this. We can either make a page with review links or a redirect for each one. I'd say we can definitely use a redirect first of all.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having the same "how to link to my Google Biz entry from my web page" question, I got the same long Google URL. My issue with the long URL is that it might very well contain my encoded login information, I can't tell. If it does, when I hand it out, a jealous competitor (some of which already moved our Google Maps location marker before into the bushes, etc.) could gain owner access to my Google biz page and inflict serious harm, unlike their past actions.

So how do I hand out my Google Biz long URL without a security risk? Is there a way to tell if it contains my login credentials or not?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

George,

This thread is 2 years old so I'll be locking it to new replies. There should be no security risk in using your Google Maps URL that you get from within the dashboard.  

If you have further questions, please post a new thread.

Owner of Sterling Sky