Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Ground floor in a building with lots of businesses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

We have a verified Google My Business listing, but it struggles to appear for any niche, local searches. 

We believe it's due to being the ground floor in a large building (with hundreds of verified businesses using the address but with levels/suite prefix).

So our (example) address: "1 Burke Street Melbourne". 

Then there are hundreds of similar verified addresses for unrelated businesses in the same building: 

2/1 Burke Street, Melbourne

Level 3, 1 Burke Street, Melbourne

411/1 Burke Street, Melbourne

etc.

Would you recommend changing this to "Level 1" (or "Ground Floor") even though it's not the official address? 

Thanks for any help! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ground floor in a building with lots of businesses

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Daniel,

What is the actual address? I'm assuming if this is a multi-floor building that you must have a floor or suite number, and not the actual building (1 Bourke St) address?

I'd definitely recommend changing the address to the official address, not a made-up one - Google gets wind of those pretty quickly and does take action.

If you're willing to share your business details here, then we may be able to provide more detailed advice as to why you are not showing up in searches.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Priya,

Thanks for the follow up.

I'd prefer not to disclose the address for now if possible.

The official address IS actually "1 Burke Street Melbourne" with no floor or suite number.

I guess you could call it "Ground Floor", but it's not actually referred to that anywhere. And mail is not an issue going to them at "1 Burke Street Melbourne".

But I am assuming Google does not like this when it thinks it's a giant building?

Thanks again.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel Z
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Daniel

It would be harder for Google to establish trust over the business address given the large number of businesses using a variation of the address - but providing there's NAP consistency across the web, and the phone number is different to other businesses in the building, not impossible.

However, without more concrete information about the business it is difficult to provide a full assessment of what might be causing the issue.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog