Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Review Star stuck at 1?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Good evening everyone,

I'm running into an issue on my business listing with a star only review that caused me to have a 1/5 rating 1 month ago from an individual who I could not provide legal services to because of the false claims, sadly he was upset and left a bad star review with no content. Two of my clients gave us 5 star reviews earlier this week, but my rating is still 1/5 Stars and impacting my business. I have 2 five star ratings, and 1 one star rating with no update. Is there something I'm missing in this process?

I want to encourage customers to give reviews, but if the stars don't update then people who leave bad reviews out of spite cannot be combated against.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Christopher P

provide your customers this link to write reviews for your business "Zantia Group Inc." so you have more thn the actual three reviews.

Regarding the review score in general and what Google says about its calculation  read this HC Article

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you for your response.

I did not see anything about how many reviews you need to change the stars. The two reviews I have are description reviews my clients wrote, the one bad one is only a 1 star click without an actual statement. I'm a numbers guy, and I don't understand how 2 (five-star) with descriptions, and 1 (one-star) no text equal 1/5. The math doesn't add up for me.

I will let me clients know they can leave reviews, but if it doesn't change the stars isn't it pointless? People could just skim over my listing because they see as an example (8 reviews - Overall one star out of five) when in fact, all 7 are five stars, and 1 is a one star. It gives a false image that all those reviews rank to 1 star out of 5, which falsely paints an image about the overall reviews to the consumer, and in the end hurts the business owner.

Hopefully those stars reflect the true average rating soon.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Christopher P

I would also consider it "pointless" if any more reviews will not change the issue "stuck on 1".

I have therefore also posted myself a review and have to agree it did nothings change. - Sounds like a bug or glitch in your case.

BTW don't come or talk about mathematics as the linked HC article tells you nothings about their mathematics for the score.

(its based on bayesian statistics btw)

Nevertheless I agree with you:

in case my own new review and any more posted reviews should  have an impact on the displayed score.

I will add an other one through an other account too.

Then lets wait until -let's say- coming Tuesday.

In case it still "stuck on 1" promise to escalate it to Google as a supposed bug or glitch happen for oyur listing.

@Christopher P

please mention me here on Tuesday incase the score "stuck on 1"

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you.

I will let you know either way on Tuesday what has happened as I didn't notice any changes as well.

I appreciate your time.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Good afternoon everyone. I received a response from Google which seems to be only a Canned Response, and didn't even touch base on the fact my review star is 'stuck' on 1 Star, not an issue about a 1.5 stars which doesn't exist.

"

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for reaching out to Google My Business Support. 

Hope you are doing well. I understand that you're concerned about the rating of your business "Zantia Group Inc" stuck on 1.5 star on Google despite getting more 5 star reviews.

Star rating is the overall rating of the business page which is influenced not only by 5 star reviews but the other factors like how well you optimize your business page, how often do you reply to the reviews, number of followers, updates on search result, crawling of your business page on Google and views your business page gets. It also depends upon the reviews posted by your customers on third party platforms from where Google collects its data. One more factor these algorithms consider is the accuracy of the business information and the richness of the content associated with the business.Please check this article HERE

I will advise you to ask more satisfied customer whom you have served to post their feedback on your business page. The more positive feedback you get, there'll be more chances of your review average getting improved. Do promote your Business Page on the third party websites like: Facebook, Twitter, Yelp etc. It'll also help you to boost your review average on third party website from where Google may be collecting its data. Let me know if you have any more doubts, I'll be more than happy to clarify.

Quick Tip : I can see that you have some great reviews on your Business Page which you haven’t acknowledged yet. Responding to reviews will help in building a good relation with the customer and will encourage others to also review your Business. Read and reply to reviews

Hope you find this useful. For any further clarification, do not hesitate to reply back to this email. If you'd prefer discussing this as a phone conversation I can also give you a call if you revert back with a number. You may receive an email survey regarding your interaction with Google My Business support. We value your feedback in improving customer experience.Wish you all the luck for your business initiative!

Sincerely,
Pankaj

"

I find this response unacceptable, and still leaves me with an invalid bad rating on my business review. @Helmut Geissler not sure if you're able to get anyone to look into this. I feel this was just a canned response, and the individual didn't even look into the issue. I really don't want to go through the trouble of getting a court order to fix the issue of the bad review, that's why I'm suggesting my customers put reviews, but it doesn't move the needle.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

ok @Christopher P

I escalated it to our Communication manager as a supposed bug

(for my own reference only: supposed bug on review score - "stuck at 1")

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have exactly the same issue. 1* left a month ago, wasnt from a customer - either a mistake or malicious. However have since had 4 x 5*reviews left and the review average still shows 1*. Hope there is a bug and this can be fixed. If any progress - I'd be keen to know a way forward. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am also experiencing the exact same issue. I received a false 1* review and two 5* reviews but the average is still on 1*. I hope google resolves the issue very soon.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having a simular issue, but my ratings has gone down, and then stuck at 2.6, even though most of my reviews are rated at 5, why?