AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Not Showing a large Chunk of Businesses

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there, I've started to notice lately that when you click "More Places" off a web query occasionally there will only be a small handful when there is multiple businesses in that area not even being recognized. 

Take the query Austin Tours for example. 

When searching the maps for a tour company, only four businesses show up. If you use the scroll wheel, or zoom out in any way, shape or form... even just a smidge suddenly all the floodgates let loose. I now have 3 pages of local results where the initial search only yielded 4 individual listings. 

What's up with this? This category is competitive yes, but I see no reason why there would be only 4 locations showing up for such a large query where, as you can see, there are many, many businesses that are getting thrown under the bus.

This has been happening for most of 2017 as far as I can tell. Does anyone happen to know why they downsized so strictly?

EDIT: let me know if you're not seeing similar results. I live in the Austin area so that might be what's affecting the small business pool? (Even though I, as a consumer, would like all my options to be shown)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

When I initially do the search, I see 8 listings. Then, with a pan of the map, it searches and returns four pages of listings.

I've seen this in multiple queries within highly competitive categories. I'm not sure what the reasoning might be beyond the few people looking past the first three results are in representing the business and not what most users actually do.

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Joel, thanks for replying. Glad to know I'm not alone in seeing these changes. I've rolled out intense local services for good and very well-reviewed business and they still don't make the cut from this strange small listing pool. It's frustrating to say the least. 

I hope I know the reason someday. As a consumer I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed but maybe I am the only nerd who bothers to look past the local pack lol...