Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Google My Business Linked with incorrect Wikipedia Article

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run a business called 'The Brighton Studio' we're a photography and film studio based in Brighton, UK.  

www.thebrightonstudio.com

The Brighton Studio,
Units B-E, Level 2 South
New England House
New England Street
Brighton
BN1 4GH

We set up all the necessary requirements that Google requested to verify our google my business page in 2016 last year when we launched the business and website. Our business info is currently displaying correctly on our google my business page and in Google Maps, however if you type in 'The Brighton Studio' into google search, google appears to be mixing half of our business information with a theatre also based in Brighton called 'The Brighton Dome' 

Our address, Telephone number and opening hours and images are displayed correctly. However, the google algorithm seems to be pulling all the other info from the Brighton Dome wikipedia page.

Please see screenshot below...

Incorrect info about my business displayed in the box on the rightIncorrect info about my business displayed in the box on the right

I've tried the "suggest an edit" function 100 times and had absolutely no response. A google advisor recommended, editing The Brighton Dome wikipedia page and replacing it with our info, which i have to say made me feel a little uncomfortable as it's not a wikipedia error and it's not my wikipedia page to edit.

Having spoken with google my business everyday for the past 2 months, they've been awfully unhelpful and basically said that theres nothing they can do to help me, which I just cannot believe to be true.

How do I get this fixed? Has a solution been found yet?

Thanks, Olly

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @The Brighton S

Happy to help you with this.

Two things that come to mind that will have contributed to this, and one you can action.  The name of your GMB listing is "studio theatre", yet the business name according to the website is "the brighton studio".  This is the name you're using on all the other listings around the web too.  Your GMB listing should reflect your real world business name.

Secondly (nothing you can do about it), is the other place's website makes it rather difficult to find an address.

I'll escalate this to Google for you, as I suspect this will take manual intervention to fix.  The last time I did this it took a while, so please be patient.  Maybe check it every 4 or 5 days.  If it's not fixed in 2 weeks, ping me so I can follow up with Google. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @The Brighton S
Google have responded the problem has been fixed. Give it two weeks from today and check it then.  Post back if it still needs attention.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Margaret,

ATM though it's actually even worse!

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=the+brighton+studio&*

Our address, Telephone number, opening hours and images have all disappeared. The only information left is for The Brighton Dome Theatre

The only proof that we actually exist is by clicking on the map (which nobody looking for a photography studio will click on)

Hopefully this will be corrected asap.

It's just so annoying.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

OK what you're seeing there is the KP for the historic building, not your business listing.
Here's your listing, fully intact. https://www.google.com/search?q=the%20brighton%20studio&oq=the+brighton+studio&gs_l=serp.3..35i39k1l...

Based on the limited things I can see, it looks to me as though this is a point of interest still in transition between the maps side of things and Search functions.

There's also some confusion about the information on the historic complex and the theatre, which isn't helping things.

Give this a little more time to flush through the system more completely.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, it appears at first glance that this is the KP for the Theatre you're looking at. But this is only because google has now taken down ALL of my business info (see image attached in my original email sent last week) and compare it to how it looks this week. The only thing left linking my business to my listing is the Map and the the Website button.

The link you've posted above is correct. But that is my listing as seen through google maps, not google search. I've never had a problem with google maps. Only google search.

I will give it more time, because this is all I can do. But I have to say that I've lost complete faith in Googles ability to fix this any time soon. It's been nearly 3 months now.

The Google My Business call back team have been incredibly unhelpful. Having to re explain my problem to them every time I call, always speaking over me with a cocky tone, never reply to my emails, say they'll call me back and then don't.

They always tell me there's nothing they can do and they're not qualified to know what the problem is, so I ask to be passed onto someone that is and they tell me this isn't possible. Just endless dead ends.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Sorry to hear about your experience with Support.

Yes, let's give it a bit more time - two weeks is usually the minimum for knowledge panel issues to sort themselves.  

Ping me again on this thread in 2 weeks if it still isn't right. I'll be able to re-escalate this after that time.

Find me on · · my blog

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @The Brighton S

Can you confirm this looks correct now?  

It seems right to me, but before I close it off with Google, would you give the OK?

Find me on · · my blog

Experts in the Topic
MargaretO