1.7K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Google My Business Category Not Updating

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm working with SMU Law School (3315 Daniel Ave, Dallas, TX 75205 ) to change their Google My Business Listing. Originally they were listed as a university department and I recently updated their Google My Business Category to say law school which is more accurate. Google accepted the review and it's displaying properly on the Google Plus Page (https://plus.google.com/+SMUDedmanSchoolofLawDallas/about) but not in the knowledge graph (it still shows university). Whenever I go to edit it, the category "law school" shows up. The business's phone number is (214) 768-2000.

Any suggestions as to why it isn't showing up properly?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google My Business Category Not Updating

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julie,

I took a look at your listing and you are correctly given the category of "Law School" in maps, g+ profile etc. as expected since this is what's been selected in your GMB dashboard category. In my opinion, SMU Law School is being identified as a University in the knowledge graph since the law school's URL is a subdomain of the university's domain. Google is correct in understanding that you are part of Southern Methodist University, but if you'd like Google to be more specific, I'd recommend optimizing your subdomain pages with structured data markup from schema.org. There are many resources out there (much more than I can included as a response) so you'll want to make sure that you're implementing appropriately. I'll open it up to other experts to speak more on appropriate implementation.

Hope this helps!
Meghan

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Julie W
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Julie,

If you look in the knowledge graph you'll see it says:

Parent institution: Southern Methodist University

The parent institution is listed as a university and that's why it's displaying the "university" there.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Meghan! I'll give the structured mark-up a try!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Joy for your answer! Based on everything I've looked at this sounds like what's happening.