AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Messaging not working with twilio numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We tried setting up a twilio number on Google My Business messaging for a client and found that it wasnt working (no messages were received after the verification step, sometimes even the verification message wouldnt come through)

Based on this post https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Enhance-Your-Presence/Twilio-amp-Google-My-Business-Chat/t... and some research it seems like Google could be filtering out messages to twilio numbers because they are considered disposable with a potentially higher spam risk?

While this could be the case for some bad actors, a lot of our clients have legitimate business needs for using a twilio number for their messaging/phone lines, and this restriction can unfairly impair their ability to use the Google business messaging product effectively..

Is there anything that can be done to support twilio numbers within the Google business messaging product (e.g. verification that can be provided/additional consent required/etc) which wouldnt be too unreasonable for the business owners who need to use this?

Google Messaging not working with twilio numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Alternatively, are there other SMS API providers (messagebird, nexmo, plivo) that is (or could be) supported in the Google business messaging product?