AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Map Description ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you please tell me why I can't see description of my business. I can easily see description of all other competitors and I am confused why mine is not visible.

Also, can you please let me know from where does Google pick the description shown in any local listing? I have checked my competitor's description; they are neither from website, nor from Google+ page. They are not even in Google Map. It would be great if you can help me out with this query.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Google Map Description ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

"Looking forward to hearing from you" - about what business?

Google Map Description ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Accomodation Service

Re: Google Map Description ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Helmut Geissler, hi, Pankaj was sent here from the Maps forum. He included a screenshot showing his issue here.

Google Map Description ?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thanks @Noisette for providing the link @pankaj j was missing to provide.

And thanks to @pankaj j for theinteresting question.

Frankly said I can't much say yet  about this missing "description".

But will try  give little bit background:

1# thiss kind of descriptions are Google created editorials

2# the specific guest house Pankaj is asking about isn't the only accomodation in the area without such a description:

3# Other examples beside of the "Stour Lodge" of Pankaj J  are: 

- Brantwood Guest House

- Chewton Edge

- The Olde Barn Bed & Breakfast 

- Salmons Reach

(the five listed accomodation businesses above are all listed within the first page of result if searching for "Guest House Christchurch UK")

On the next pages of search results for the same query are five other accomodations listed without such "description"

4# etc on any other page of results.

This said:

It seems quite normal that we get results shown with and without such descriptions.

I have no clue what criteria Google applies to show or not showing such descriptions.

Will ask  around - hoping I get an answer from our communication manager.

Google Map Description ?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Helmut Geissler,

Actually i have tried to contact with support team of Business listing team of Google through Chat and then a administrative called me and said that now a days Google facing problem with showing introduction in new listing and introduction field stopped after Aug 2016.

But there i can see others introduction. Is this because those are old listings i mean before Aug 2016. Is It? and what should i do to show introduction with mu business listing.

Google Map Description ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually the issue is I am trying to be found on Google places for the term "Guest House Christchurch Dorset", I did feed all the necesary information but I am still not visible there. Can you please help me out for listing my business, the website is http://stourlodge.co.uk/

Google Map Description ?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

In answer to your last question, right now doing the search mentioned above first time I did it you came out #1 when I search here in the United States.  A second search, later on, you come out #3. So it is working. Keep optimizing the site with content you want to rank for. Also look at other sites to see what they are doing to outrank you on the pages themselves. Not just the business page. 

Also are you familiar with the incognito version of Google? When you search from your computer Google shows results based on your search history so you will see different results than someone else does. 

In addition to the responses here you may want to look at a post that Mike Blumenthal did that gets into a lot of the ranking factors and apply it to what you are doing. It takes time.  This last question should almost be a separate post since it has evolved to ranking not details on the listing. There is more to it than just a few details. @Helmut Geissler may have some better suggestions,

David W Cox, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Find me on: Google+ | Facebook |