My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Local Pack Issues - Local Business vs e-Commerce website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings All - 

We are a company based in Costa Rica that has two very different sides to our operation:

1) We have an actual restaurant/café that is one of the top-rated in our area for over 20 years.

2) We have an e-commerce business that ships coffee around the world.

Our website is built on a reputable e-commerce platform (BigCommerce), while also utilizing parts of that same website to promote our restaurant in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. (www.cafemilagro.com)

We have constant issues with our Google Places & Google Local Pack listings, and I wonder if it is because of the e-commerce portion of our website, which is identified as being in the US which is where our distribution center is located? As you can see, our business is properly listed in Google Maps in Costa Rica. That said, if you search for 'best manuel antonio restaurants' we do not appear in the Google Local Pack listing at all, and never have. 

If our e-commerce site is cause for this issue, would it be advantageous for us to develop a website that is specific to our restaurant and operate on two different platforms entirely? And if so, how best to do that so as to not confuse Google algorithms? Any disadvantages?

1. Business Name(s): Café Milagro or El Patio de Café Milagro
2. Business Location: Main Rd Manuel Antonio, Quepos, Costa Rica (there are no actual street addresses in Costa Rica)
3. Business Telephone: +506-2777-2272

4. Business Google+: https://plus.google.com/+CafeMilagroQuepos

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or assistance!

Re: Google Local Pack Issues - Local Business vs e-Commerce website?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Good Afternoon Travis,

I found two listings, Cafe Milagro and El Patio de Cafe Milagro, one verified and the other appears to be unclaimed. In performing some general searches I noticed the same, some citations with Cafe Milagro and some with El Patio de Cafe Milagro. (Listings have the same telephone.) (Please see Joy's post about dealing with duplicates.) (See notation about moving reviews.)

As per Google:

• Represent your business as it’s consistently represented and recognized in the real world across signage, stationery, and other branding.
  • Make sure your address is accurate and precise.

The address listed in the thread appears to be more precise (perhaps add a postal code).

I see the Cafe Milagro listing in the 3-pack see below and when clicking on more places the other listing appears just below in the 4th position.

10.png

11.png

I also noticed from the website, you're linking for example to the Google listing for El Patio de Cafe Milagro but then for the Facebook listing you're linking to the Cafe Milagro listing (not the El Patio de Cafe Milagro) - some consistency would be helpful. (I did notice that for the Cafe Milagro Knowledge Graph card, Google is displaying the G+ & Facebook social profiles (the same listings you're linking to from the site) but they're not displaying profiles in the KG card for El Patio de Cafe Milagro.

With respect to site, you have a page dedicated to the restaurant, perhaps you could treat it like a location page i.e. display the address, contact details, link to map, hours of operation and then link to that dedicated page from the listing (instead of the homepage) and vice-versa (display social profile links that belong to the restaurant and link back to those pages). In addition, you could add structured data (a way for Google to confirm the information they have for your business is accurate).

Grace