AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Local - Home Based Business Owner Question

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Business Name: AVF Residential Garage Doors

Business Address: 705-21 Richgrove Drive, Etobicoke ON M9R 2L2
Phone: (416) 747-6869

My local listing was live for a  year, and recently disabled.  I wasn't sure why so I contacted google and they relisted my business listing, however I lost all of my 70+ reviews.

Fast forward, I spoke to a gentleman on the phone (after google relisted my site already) and he said that he would escalate the issue, however advised me to change my business listing to a 'service area business and hide my actual address'. So I did that, the issue was escalated and my reviews were re-added to my listing.

The thing is, I'm a home based business, and now I would like to go back to having my address listed in the local listing as part of my business is sales, so I do offer sales and service at my home address. (For example, people that want to buy parts pick up from me and if they wanted to drop in a product for repair they can do so as well).

I live in an apartment building, and use a room for an office. Can I now recheck the box where I do business at my location and not have to worry about losing my listing? I have had my business listed on google local for almost a year with no issue until just the last couple of days. It's important for me to have my company listed with my address.

I was asked by the gentleman I spoke with on the phone if I had any pictures of signage on my storefront. I told him I was a home based business. Do I have to have a sign on my door before I relist as serving customers at my address? I can always put up signage if necessary, but is it mandatory?

Thanks!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Did they tell you why you were removed in the first place?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No they did not.  I sent a request to be reinstated with an explanation of my business and services via email.  Overnight they reinstated me and sent me an email confirming that.  However all of the reviews that I've accumulated up to that point were not displayed.  I finally spoke to a gentleman on the phone and they asked me for a picture of the signage on my business location.  I explained that I was a home based business that did serve customers at my location, so it would not look like a store front.  He advised me to switch my profile to a service based business and then escalated my issue.  My reviews that I acquired over the last year were reinstated on my verified profile.  

I mean, I can purchase a sign to put on my door.  But this doesn't make sense to me.  I am a sales & service business that does serve customers at my location.  There is a check box on my google business settings that states: I also serve customers at my business address. (Your address will be hidden from the public if this box isn't checked.).  I definitely do serve customers at my business address, which just happens to be my home address as well.  I see no reason why I can't check this?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Technically no, there should not be a problem. I was just wondering if you were given a reason. Pretty sure that if you had done something improper with the listing you would have been told. My guess is that a zealous Maps editor saw a home address and marked it to be removed.

If you meet with people at your address, I would assume that is only after they have contacted you in some way. No one is just showing up, right? In that case do you really need to show your address?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Business Name: Hall Garage Doors

Business Address: 10 Ellison Ave, Unit 201
Phone: 416-639-2446

Google ranking goes dynamic. Don't know why so much fluctuations occur on the daily basis in google ranking. Is google want to promote google paid services or they are working on quality work?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Edward,

It's better to open up a new thread for a new issue.