AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4K members online now
4K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Google+ Hashtags Improve Map Results?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I spoke with a Google my business rep who suggested that I make my Google+ postings with as many Hashtags as we like relevant to our business and that it would help our search results with these keywords in Google maps.

Is this true? If so, it feels like spamming and it's not exactly working out how I would think. The first Hashtag I post every time "stretching" does not look to register any better than before in the local search results.

Even when at our business location and searching for "stretching" we don't reguster in the search results at all. It pulls up businesses from all the surrounding cities, up to 30 or 40 minutes away.

Thank you,

Gavin R.

Miami Stretch Therapy

(786) 548-0360

https://plus.google.com/+MiamiStretchTherapy

Screenshot_20161216-102044.png

Screenshot_20161216-102018.png

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gavin R
December 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

unfortunately, there isn't any telephone support for Google+, so there would have been no one department they could have forwarded you to speak with someone. They ideally should have directed you towards the 'volunteer supported' official Google+ Help community for G+ related enquiries, or possibly even to the volunteers here, who I suspect know a great deal more about the workings of G+ than the person you had the misfortune to be advised by. 

The Official Help Community for Google+ can be found here: https://plus.google.com/communities/115758385206378551362 

Disclaimer: I'm one of the google appointed experts, also known as Top Contributors there. In a similair capacity to Helmut's position as an Expert here in this community. 

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The internet is notorious as a platform to broadcast any nonsense we can imagine.

Hashtags as mean to improve Google Ranking is such a hoax

Better is to rely your own  mind and not such stuff 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I've got to agree with @Helmut Geissler that such advice is nonsense, and for that I'd recommend sacking whoever it was that suggested it to you! That type of behaviour if overused could actually see you penalised for spamming Google+.

Hashtags are only effective if used sparingly, and when accompanying a relevant and engaging post. Google+ is very different to other social media like instagram or twitter, where hashtags appear to have dominance over actual content. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for you replies! Why are employees of google soliciting phony advise?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Could be two answers to this... 

1) they're not a google employee, but someone masquerading as one. You never mentioned how you contacted the 'rep', and there are many SEO charlatans out there claiming they work for google.

2) if they were a google employee it just shows that some have no idea of products outside of their own field if expertise. Google+ is an entirely different beast to google business and I doubt there are more than a few google support reps who have more than very basic knowledge of G+. Just as they may struggle with questions about drive or Gmail, but they should definitely not be making wild guesses :/

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

And there is a "kind of law of nature" I detected years ago:

among 100 people there is always one idiot - at least so to say.

Could be much more - it depends.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see. I contacted google via the Google adwords phone line at 18662466453 and selected the Google my business option. I remained in contact with one rep for over 30 emails in their email server after the initial phone conversation. I thought it would be reputable advice speaking directly with people from google.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for clarifying. I can perhaps understand this poor advice as it was from an employee of a different product. Getting G+ advice from someone in Adwords/business is a little like asking a dentist about issues with your feet. It may sound good advice, it may also be from someone you should trust, but, in both cases they should have stated clearly it's not their field of expertise and they should direct you to appropriate support. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That makes sense. But it's odd because they would transfer me to a separate department if I have a specific question that was not their field. The representatives only answered questions within their department.

I've had questions about Google adwords, Google analytics and Google my business all answered by reps from the respective departments from this contact number.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gavin R
December 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

unfortunately, there isn't any telephone support for Google+, so there would have been no one department they could have forwarded you to speak with someone. They ideally should have directed you towards the 'volunteer supported' official Google+ Help community for G+ related enquiries, or possibly even to the volunteers here, who I suspect know a great deal more about the workings of G+ than the person you had the misfortune to be advised by. 

The Official Help Community for Google+ can be found here: https://plus.google.com/communities/115758385206378551362 

Disclaimer: I'm one of the google appointed experts, also known as Top Contributors there. In a similair capacity to Helmut's position as an Expert here in this community.