AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Has Created Separate GMB Listings For My Parts Department and Service Department

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have noticed that separate listings have been created for both our service and parts departments which is great. However after reading Google's support documentation about "Departments within Other Business'" they suggest that

"The main business "South Bay Toyota" has the category "Toyota Dealer" whereas the "South Bay Toyota Service & Parts" has the category "Auto Repair Shop" (plus the category "Auto Parts Store")"

This sounds like to me we should have one single listing for our Parts & Service department. My question is, should I claim these and merge them? Claim them and keep them separate? What about my other dealership which does not have these listings automatically created yet? Should I create 1 for "parts and service"? Or 2, 1 for "parts" and 1 for "service"?

Thanks!

Number 7 Honda

5555 Hwy 7 W, Woodbridge, ON L4L 1T5

(905) 851-2258

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Number+7+Honda/@43.775457,-79.6071609,20z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x882b24d...

https://www.number7honda.com/

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Has Created Separate GMB Listings For My Parts Department and Service Department

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Darcy,

Can you clarify if the parts and services departments have:

1.  Different staff?

2.  Different phone numbers?

3.  Different entrances?

4.  Different desks inside the dealership?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Joy,

1.  Different staff? This depends. Some are unique to the department, some work in both.

2.  Different phone numbers? Yes.

3.  Different entrances? No.

4.  Different desks inside the dealership? No.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

So they probably would merge the 2 if you wanted.  I would have to ask.  Is that what you want to do?

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think it makes sense to have 1 single listing for "parts and service". Most dealerships consider "parts and service" to be their own separate entity from sales, but not from one another. I just find it strange that Google is automatically creating these separately when in their guidelines it looks as if they are suggesting they should be one.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

It is a bit strange that they created it.  I'll see if I can get any details to share around that.  I'll send this to them and ask them to merge them and let you know when I hear back.  It usually takes 1-2 weeks to get a response.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Joy, no need for you to take any action here with respect to merging them, although I very much appreciate it. I would be interested if you can get more information on what the best strategy would be.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Darcy - I already sent it to Google.  I can't undo that, unfortunately. That's why I asked if that's what you wanted... :/

Owner of Sterling Sky

Re: Google Has Created Separate GMB Listings For My Parts Department and Service Department

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh well. Keep me posted on what happens.

Sent from my iPhone
This message will self destruct

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hey Darcy,

Google removed the listing for parts.  If that solves your issue, please mark this thread as resolved.

Owner of Sterling Sky