Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Fake Negative Reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,
How long does it take Google for it to remove a fake review.
It has been more than 1 week now that I have flagged a fake review and it is still there! It is very bad as it has a negative impact for sure. The fake review was written by an account which was solely created for that purpose and as such it should be straight forward! +Google UK for Business +Google Small Business +Google PLEASE HELP!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Fake Negative Reviews

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google only removes reviews that violate their review terms of service, visible here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/2622994?hl=en

If the review uses racism, include a URL, swears, etc per the above rules it will be removed. But if it just says: "This business is the most terrible business in the world and owner is a rude jerk", even if the review is fake Google will not likely remove it.

If you have proof that it is fake then your only recourse is the courts. In some countries (UK, Australia) that is easier than others (US) and for sure it is no guarantee.

The least expensive and probably best thing to do is:

1-Ask you good customers for more reviews and keep asking

2- Write a response to the negative review that positions you as the good guy 

Re: Fake Negative Reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Mike, your reply is helpful but it is outrageous that a company like Google behaves so. I can't wait for the day that their Deepmind takes over so they can instantly remove this sort of reviews... just to be clear, an account was created to do a review to say bad things about the owner, not the actual business, if that is not considered to be fake then the world has really become confused...

Thank you Mike.

Fake Negative Reviews

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Google does have an algo to detect fake but it is, at this point, not very good. 

And Google has rules that a human can assess to see if the review violates those reviews.

If the algo didn't catch it and the review doesn't violate the TOS you have little recourse with Google. And the best you can do is take care of yourself and your company and position the review as one outlier amongst many. Or if you know who is doing it, deal with it via lawyers etc. 

Google is very weak in this area and you should not put your faith in them. 

Fake Negative Reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree. I've had a malicious review put up for my business and cannot seem to get rid of it. It takes a lot of good reviews to drown out a negative one star review. The Google review system is very very poor and clunky. It seriously needs updating.