AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Enhance Presence

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I search for certain terms my website comes up first on the natural search listings but I don't appear on the map listings (that sit above) at all until you go into the map and find my business on there.  What might be causing this and how can I bump my listing up on the map listings?  Is this due to how I have set up my account or anything on my website?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
November

Enhance Presence

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Tracy,

Starting with your listing, are you listed in the correct/most categories that apply to your business? From there, I'd encourage you to create content through your listing (Posts, Photos, etc) that would help train Google to understand more about your business and what you offer.

Outside of Google, make sure all of your citations from other directories are also set correctly, and that things like your title and meta description contains your location as well as those primary keywords/phrases. 

Best, David

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
November

Enhance Presence

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Tracy,

Starting with your listing, are you listed in the correct/most categories that apply to your business? From there, I'd encourage you to create content through your listing (Posts, Photos, etc) that would help train Google to understand more about your business and what you offer.

Outside of Google, make sure all of your citations from other directories are also set correctly, and that things like your title and meta description contains your location as well as those primary keywords/phrases. 

Best, David

Enhance Presence

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks David.  I think we are all set up correctly in our business listing.  Our website could do with some work though.  Perhaps that is the issue!  I had just wondered if there was anything in particular I could do with the Google map listings that come back to help our ranking there but I guess it is all tied up together!

Enhance Presence

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

They're certainly connected, but while they can move independently, your website is the primary source for information about your entity. So yes, the better you can make your website and content, the better the complete picture. 

Best, David

Enhance Presence

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Tracy P

As you probably noticed, over the years Google has decreased the number of spots available on the first page of search results for local businesses. There are a variety of reasons why a business doesn't up on the first page of Google -- in organic rankings, the Google Local 3-Pack or in the Local Finder. Not all of those reasons are directly related to your Google My Business listing. (Google takes many other considerations as well when determining which local businesses show up on the first page.)

Here's an article that might help you with rankings: Unfiltered: How to Show Up In Local Search Results.

There are also a lot of articles online. You may want to start with some introduction to SEO blog posts or ebooks from SearchEngineLand.com, Moz.com or SearchEngineJournal.com. Good luck!

Sherry

Enhance Presence

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up a new account for my business and it showed up as the first listing in the 3-pack. I created a free Google website and the listing moved to the fourth place which doesn't show up in 3-pack anymore. Why is this?