3.5K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Embedded Map Directions Link Goes to Geolocation Instead of Address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When clicking on the embedded map's Directions button, I am sent to Google Maps with the destination being our geolocation instead of our address. Is there anything that I can do to resolve this issue?

Start at...

click Directions within the embedded map. This links to...

I'd expect it to link to the following though...
https://www.google.com/maps/dir//ElectroShield,+Inc.,+708+S+High+St,+Yellow+Springs,+OH+45387?hl=en-US
1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

The method you used to create the imbeded script created the following code on your site.

that has created the following link. Changing that link to item three would do it. I do not know your software to describe how to do it. href="https://www.google.com/maps/place/ElectroShield,+Inc./@39.8010233,-83.8984133,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!..." target="_blank" class="btn btn-info">View Map</a>

I was not sure what site platform you are using but it would be one of two things the way the code was put in the site software and what you selected when you got the code from Google to embed the map. In Joomla, they have quick utilities that you can use and also customize the map display in. So this is more of web design question rather than Google My Busines question in my mind. 

David W Cox, Google My Business Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Facebook |

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the feedback David.

The way the map was created and then put into the site was by pulling up our business on maps.google.com.

Once pulled up, I went to Menu -> Share or Embed Map

The link provided by Google has the Directions link embedded with the map points to the geolocation instead of the address.

That's why my thinking was more that it is a Google Maps issue and not web design. Is there anyway to control that embedded Directions link that you know of?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

I just tried that and did it a little differently I think. I searched for company name of the profile when the full Google my business page shows up with the marker displayed I went over the listing and clicked on the share button and then clicked on the embedded map and it generated clean code with no link above it just the IFrame code. Does the same thing happen on your end?  When I click on the share link I get the geocoding only. So I really do not have any idea how you got the combination on your site. If you can follow my description you should only get code that starts with <iframe src=xxxxx(all the specifics and ends with </iframe>. See if that helps. In that code, it does not look like it links to the site but when you click to enlarge the map it shows the business information and your website link.

See if that helps.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately, this method provides the same end result of the geolocation being used instead of the address. We may just have to live with it for now and revisit down the road.

Thanks for all of your help though.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Did you get this code for your listing and it does not work? I should have thought to post what I think will work

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d3065.266247918009!2d-83.89841328462276!3d39.80..." width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I get the following code. Clicking on the Directions button embedded in the map though links to geolocation being the To address instead of the postal address of our building. I just verified in the Google My Business account that our address is correct.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d3065.2662479180085!2d-83.89841328420938!3d39.8..." width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

I put the code on a word press site and here is what it looks like is that different than what you get. I will take it down once you have gotten to look. Sometimes the web hosting software can automatically edit add or delete code. Certainly, it happens in Joomla plugins and components

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Acts exactly the same way as it does on my site, at least for me. If you click on the 'Directions' link within the map, do you have our address loaded or the geolocation?

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

The test link I set up shows the listing embedded in the page but only till you click on the view larger map link do you get to the view I think you want without the geo code information that shows the company's Google My Business listing. Do I understand it correctly? When I try and edit the code for you I was not able to get by the right code going from embed to directions. The one you want  would include a different direction link like this one, and has /dir//

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//ElectroShield,+Inc.,+708+S+High+St,+Yellow+Springs,+OH+45387/@39.80...

When I try and publish that on a page all that comes up is a blank page. So you need a better code guy for Google Maps than me or they just will not allow it, not sure what.

Sorry