1.9K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Eliminate or merge old google maps location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our business moved several years ago, but the old location continues to appear on google maps.  I've tried to tackle this issue many times over the years without success. Can someone please help me merge or eliminate the old location?  We had another client go to the wrong place again recently.  Our business is Smiles Peru, located at 575 Jose Pardo Ave. in Miraflores, Lima, Peru.  The old location was at 329 Jose Pardo Ave.  Thanks. 

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Eliminate or merge old google maps location

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Smiles,
Unfortunately maps is keeping closed business locations on the map. Not sure how long they will keep them, but the old location is clearly marked as permanently closed.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Some of our clients are older and not particularly internet savvy so it creates confusion. Thanks Margaret!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey @Smiles P - sometimes Google will merge the 2 pages. Was the move very far away? Did you keep the same phone number, business name and website?

If you can list the link to both the new and old location's listing on Google Maps that would help :)

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joy,

We moved only 2 blocks away. Same phones, website, and business name (the business name is officially Smiles Peru, as shown on the older entry....I added "Dental" to the "second" business name to hopefully make it more visible to google. We would prefer one name be used - Smiles Peru Dental).

The newer entry is here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Smiles+Peru+Dental/@-12.119252,-77.036732,17z/data=!4m6!1m3!3m2!1s...

The older entry is here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Smiles+Peru/@-12.119252,-77.036732,17z/data=!4m6!1m3!3m2!1s0x9105c...

Thanks very much for your help.

- Kirby

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Smiles P - I'll escalate this for you and find out! I should hear back later this week and will post on here once I get a response from Google.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Smiles P

You said: ''I added "Dental" to the "second" business name to hopefully make it more visible to google."

You can't add a keyword or descriptor to the business name. That's a violation. The name field can only include the real business name.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Smiles P
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Smiles P - Google responded. They should be merged now. 

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Joy,

That was fast! Thank you very much! Even merged the old review from way back when.

Best,
Kirby

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Joy, I am working with a customer in MD that moved about 3 months ago. We created a G+ page with the new information which matches their webpage and Facebook. When GSearching or GMapping them, the pindrop shows correct, and the listed address is correct. However when using the "Directions" function from either source, the directions take the user to the old address in written form. When looking at the directions on the Map, the user is taken to the old address, and then "FLOWN" to the new address. Could you help with that?
Subway Auto Body 781 Annapolis Road, Gambrills, MD 21054
subwayautobody.com
G+:
https://plus.google.com/u/1/b/115362763336465271012/115362763336465271012/about?gmbpt=true&hl=en

Directions request:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/1016+Morgan+Station+Drive,+Severn,+MD+21144-1249,+USA/Subway+Auto+Bo...