2.5K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Disappeared in local 3 pack for important keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business is located in New York City. i sell custom suits. My company name is Alan David (www.alandavid.com) The keyword 'custom suits nyc' has always been critical. I had a bit of trouble when possum came out but rebounded nicely thanks to some special help from Joy Hawkins. For the last several months (longer if you exclude possum) I had ranked #1 for 'custom suits nyc' in the 3 pack and also in the top 3 positions organically. On Thursday I fell out of the 3 pack and maps is showing me #14. But my other keywords like 'custom suits' are still strong in the 3 pack. What is also interesting is that the company that replaced me ans #1 in the 3 pack (Enzo) had never been listed in the 3 pack for 'custom suits nyc' and was not even listed on maps. But during the possum update Enzo and my company did flip flop in and out, when I was listed he was not and vice versa. I dont know how I can go from #1 to #14 while still maintaining strong listings for similar keywords. I dont know what to do? Please help.

Alan David Custom

16 East 40th Street

Suite 702

New York NY 10016

212-227-4040

https://plus.google.com/+AlanDavidCustom

1 Expert replyverified_user

Disappeared in local 3 pack for important keyword

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alan

What you're describing is not uncommon post possum.  Our best understanding is that there is an intended variety in the local packs for closely related search terms.

That said, when I search using that specific phrase, I do see your biz listed in the local pack.  Your position varies if I search for "custom suits ny" in quotes and without quotes.  It may be a case of the algorithm testing various businesses in the pack.  

One other thing that will have a tremendous impact on the contents of the local pack is the location of the searcher.  The search history of the searcher will also likely influence it.  

So for anyone else reading this -

While it's brilliant to be in the local pack, it's very high risk if the local pack is the main source of customers. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog