3.2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

* DITTO * not showing up on Relevant Searches

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone, as with many others it seems, my business is not coming up under relevant searches.  We are clearly on the map, but do not show up for things like:

"thrift stores near me", "vintage store near me", etc.  The broadest search we come up under is "thrift stores in San Fernando", the city in which we are located and are one of only two.  Of course when we search the name of our business, we come up no problem.  

Of course, like everyone, we want to be listed under as broad searches as possible.  This is not about ranking (for now), this is about showing up at all.  Even permamently closed stores show up and we don't.  What's odd, is that three weeks ago we were showing up and everything was fine.  That was the one time calling GMB seemed to do some good.  I do have a small adwords campaign going but I don't see how those would be related (the problem seemed to start about the same time I started the campaign).   

I have read the three guidelines and recently tried to "optimize" my listing with more pics, creating an event on G+, etc.  Nothing seems to work. 

Any help is appreciated!  UGH

1. Full business name - Throwback Junction

2. Current business address - 1003 San Fernando Rd., San Fernando, CA 91340

3. Current telephone number - 818-267-8400

4. Google Maps URL - https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#tbm=lcl&q=throwback+junct...

5. Website www.throwbackjunction.com

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
October

Re: * DITTO * not showing up on Relevant Searches

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Throwback J

I get you third on the map when I search: vintage clothing store san fernando
I can also find you in the map results for: thrift store san fernando

If Almas Bridal was a business that used to be at your store's address and is no longer in business then you should utilize 'Suggest an edit' to indicate that it is permanently closed: https://goo.gl/maps/23Z92gWuHky

I wouldn't select too many categories for your business. I would keep it at 5 or less.

The title tag on your website's homepage is empty: <title></title>. You should at least have the business name there. You could also include the city and/or a few words that help describe the business (keep it brief). For example: Throwback Junction | New & Vintage Clothing Store | San Fernando

I would focus less on your G+ page and more on your website and off-site factors.  Read this article for more info: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Ranking-Factors-of-a-Google-Business-Page/ba-p/50...

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let us know if this advice was any good.  I'm having the same problem as you are and have adjusted my websites title, keywords and description to include more location word, but I don't see how that is going to help our Google listing much.

Also, the link he gave doesn't work on my end.  Did it work for you?

Hope you get help with this.  I've been struggling with my Google listing for months now and am really about ready to just give up.  Sad thing is, we so desperately rely on a Google listing for our business' to succeed these days.  :(

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for taking a look.  I will certainly update my site.  I haven't spent a lot of time on my site since our market uses Instagram almost exclusively.  The problem with G is that they only allow you to point to your website.

As I mentioned, we don't have a problem with searches that include "San Fernando".  I actually come up first on my search.  The problem is those searches are probably few and far between...

Thanks again, great advice!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So far, nothing has worked.  Furthermore, a customer just showed me that my hours were wrong, yet when I search they are correct...  This all seems to get more and more loopy...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Throwback J

The 'near me' type search result will vary but when I set my location to San Fernando I get you first in the map results for the following:

tj-1.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tj2.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tj3.png

The hours on your listing show for me as:

Friday 11AM–8PM
Saturday 11AM–8PM
Sunday 12–6PM
Monday Closed
Tuesday    11AM–8PM
Wednesday 11AM–8PM
Thursday 11AM–8PM

Are those the correct hours?

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tom, I guess I'm obsessed with "Thrift Store" because I don't come up at all and my primary competitor - who has a terrible web presence and I'm guessing spends zero on marketing comes up first.  

Yes, those are the correct hours.  I'm not sure what exactly she showed me...  but it said we open at 10.

Ugh

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Things seem the same and I stopped trying.  I have to accept that "good" is good enough.  Compared to others' problems mine are pretty livable...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Throwback J,

I have been frustrated in that when I do searches to see my rank I always see my competitors google map next to her listing but mine never appears unless I google my specific business which is "Thoroughbred Heritage Horse farm Tours". My competitor has a great name which helps her but I still don't understand why i.e, when I google "lexington horse farm tours" my map doesn't show.

Any advice or help?

Thoroughbred